Sign in to follow this  
Whoachubby

Convert Diesel To Natural Gas

Guest BillAdams

Gasoline to CNG? Yes. Diesel to CNG? I don't believe so since CNG would need a spark that is not provided by a diesel engine.

Although there are some 'diesel' engines that have been converted for natural gas (many airport shuttles have a special design cummins), it woulld be very expensive.

Another problem is where to fill. Unlike propane, CNG - compressed natural gas - requires a very expensive pump to fill the vehicles, also your vehicle will need to be fitted with CNG tanks.

CNG has never been commercially accepted on a broad basis.

You are a little ahead of the industry. Cummins and Westport are in the process of building LNG engines. Cummins has started traning there service personal on the East Coast as I have been told,

Go to Cummins, Paccar Web sites for more info.

Larry A. Nelson

Massachusetts has an infrastructure to fuel these vehicles in place, they have been adding stations over the last decade or so, they are located off of Routes 95/128, 495, 290, and I believe 93 and 91 there may be a fueling station or two. I also believe that Ct and NY have been adding CNG fueling stations as well.

Not viable for long distance. If you replaced all your cargo area with tanks on a 40' DP you could get about 4 hrs. of highway driving, and unless they have improved the compressors on these filling units you could spend more than an hour refueling. Works good for city p&d trucks.