windchaser

Towing a 1992 Geo Tracker

I am looking for info on towing a 1992 5 speed 4/4 Geo tracker. Anyone with a 1992 owners manual? I would like copies of the towing pages.

Jim

Jim...... I towed a 92 Geo Tracker a little bit less than a ''JILLION'' miles. It followed me all over the USA and to

Alaska and all over Canada. I think it now has 182,000 miles on the clock and it finally ''died'' in 04....

I was told that the fuel pump is in the tank and the fuel pump probably dropped dead and the car quit running.

Ok.... understand this.. I, Seajay the sailor man, am an EXPERT when it comes to towing a Tracker so this info

will cost you ten cents and you have to pay me the next time you see me.

One. The tracker is an excellent ''toad''.

It pulls well and it will not affect your gas mileage because it is light.

TWo. Your tracker needs to be the following...

Straight drive. Four or five speed gear box.

It needs to be four wheel drive......

Three. When you set it for towing here is what you must do.

A. Be sure the car IS NOT IN FOUR WHEEL DRIVE.......Place this shifter in ''N'' (neutral) (front hubs unlocked)

B. Put the GEAR BOX (five speed) IN NEUTRAL......

C. Put the ''key switch'' in the first notch (ACCESSORY) so that the steering wheels are free to ''track'' your coach. You will

hear your ''key reminder, dinger thingie'' but your dash lights will not be on''.......... Now wiggle the steering

wheel and see that the front wheels are actually free to ''track';......

D. RELEASE THE HAND BREAK. (this sounds stupid but I have left black marks in a few places)

E. Stop about every two hundred miles and start the Tracker and let it run for a couple of minutes.

This lubes the trannie and recharges the battery and gives you a chance ''pass gass'' in private ....lol.....

F. I advise stone guards (the plastic thingies) over the head lights and I also advise the magnetic tail

lights for the turn and break lites on the Tracker. You will not need axillary breaking for the Tracker

because it is so light.

G. DO NOT TRY TO BACK UP VERY FAR WITH THE TRACKER ATTACHED. The only way to ''attempt backing up'' is to

put someone in the Tracker and let them counter steer and be ready to honk the horn or scream their head

off when the Tracker goes nutts ........

Your Tracker is a fine little auto and it will serve you well as a ''toad''. There is ample room behind the seat for

stowing ''stuff'' and room for four in the car. (Mind you, the four or you can not be basket ball players)...

It has a nice convertible top for sunny days and the ever present four wheel drive when you want to go roaming

where their aint no road.

The reason I stopped using mine was that I needed a way to haul a boat so I bought a Ford Ranger with a capp on

the bed and I put a rack on top of that so I could haul my Port a Boat. I can also haul more ''stuff'' in the back of the

pickup but I cant haul four people now unless two want to ride ''red neck style'' in the back of the truck with the

other ''stuff''...............

Remember this .... WHEN YOU NEED GOOD,, SOUND, WELL THOUGHT OUT ADVISE..... GET A SAILOR....

WHEN YOU WANT TO KILL SOMETHING........ GET A MARINE........... (lol @ Wayne)

Seajay the sailor man .....

ps. you owe me ten cents. You can pay me the next time you see me.....

I am looking for info on towing a 1992 5 speed 4/4 Geo tracker. Anyone with a 1992 owners manual? I would like copies of the towing pages.

Jim

SAJAY,

Thanks for your input. I have ordered a 1992 manual. I have posted a reqest on dolly towing the tracker

Thanks

Jim

Catawba, NC

SeaJay/Jim - My owners manual for my 1992 Geo Tracker 4x4 5speed says to put the 4x4 transfer case in Neutral as you said BUT it says to put the transmission in 2nd gear to circulate the transmission fluid. Max tow speed is 55 and stop every 200 miles to run engine in gear for 5 minutes. Are you sure you left your transmission in neutral?