Sign in to follow this  
planocat

Fail Safe Thermostats - Anyone Have Experience With One?

I had the transmission rebuilt in my Ford gas motorhome. Had shop install an oversized Hayden cooler to replace the original factory along with a transmission temperature gauge. Shop advised that on test drive the motorhome was running very hot. It had never done that in the past. Shop owner thought it might be a stuck thermostat as it wasn't running hot when I brought it in or when he made the original test drive for diagnosis.

He changed out the thermostat and said he replaced it with a Fail Safe premium thermostat. Suggested I have the radiator flushed and coolant changed. It's about 3 years old so I will get that done.

Here's my question......... Is the Fail Safe really an upgrade in thermostats or just some more snake oil? In reading quite a few reviews there seems to be a lot of negativity toward the product. I'm wondering if I should change back to an OEM thermostat when I have the coach flushed. When you google reviews on these thermostats you do get the negatives and no one ever compliments a thermostat that when working properly is an out of mind item. So it may be 15 negatives in a million applications......... or it may be that the product is fine and I should go worry about something else!

Any insight to the Fail Safe product would be appreciated.

**** Euting

Not sure, have not used this myself but reading some other forums about this it seems like it should not do any harm. It apparently fails to a full open position when the coolant temp reaches say over 240 degree F. If you can find out what brand t- stat was put in ( Motorrad was discussed in the post I read. ) maybe you can contact the supplier for more info. When the stat fails it fails to the full open and it stays full open. it then has to be replaced.

Hope you can find someone with direct experience.

good luck

Rich