alisasings

Furnace Location? Spare Tire? Coleman Rear Air?

Where is the furnace located in a 31 ft 1987 Fleetwood bounder? We looked all around it & don't see it. All we see is the thermostat. Would it have a pilot light or electronic igniter?

Also, where would the spare tire be at? Do they have them?

And finally, the rear air is the original Coleman & only works when the generator is on. The front air (not sure what kind) works w/electric AND gen. Is there a switch on the Coleman or do they only run on gen?

AC power switch is above and behind the driver, in the first cupboard above the sofa on the 34 ft. we had. With it you can power the front or the rear, but not 2 at once from shore power. The switch will be near the charger and on some the charger was placed under the bed.

There is no spare tire or was a location created for one.

The furnace should be passenger side or in the rear. Ours had an electronic ignition.

Wish they made them the same. Different floor plans and size and things got moved around.

Rich.

Your coach is a 30 amp unit. 30 amps will not run both airs at the same time. There may be a selector switch to change the powere from one A/C to the other,but I have no idea where it might be. Your furnace may be located under a seat or cabinet. You will find access door on the outside of the coach. One will right where the fridge is. another other will be the furnace and yes your unit should have a pilot light. Most coaches do not have spare tires. They are very large and heavy. Take up storage space and most people would have a difficult time changing it.

Tim and Alisa, Please dont take this wrong. Have you two ever been out in an RV camping? It seems that you had no idea what you were getting into. I have always said that if a couple thinks that they might like to go RVing, go and rent one. When you rent a RV you will get (sometimes) complete instructions on how to operarte the unit and where everything is located. After you have rented a unit you may love it and are ready to get an RV. However if you dont like it then it is a small cost againsts buying a RV and then finding that it is not your cup of tea.

There are many things you will learn by going on a few short trips. No one can tell you what you need in your coach. Your own life style will determine what you do and dont need.

Hope I wasn't too blunt and I hope you have a wounderful time on the road.

Good Luck and Gods speed.

Herman

Tim & Alisa,

Try some of these links. They may be able to answer specific questions since they are Bounder owners clubs.

http://bounder.net/ Bounders United

http://bounder.org/ Bounders of America

The following link will take you to an owners manual for the 1987 Bounder.

http://fleetwoodrv.com/partsandservice/manuals/1987_BOUNDER.pdf

Good luck with your travels.

Good morning fellas! Thanks for your answers Rich & Herman! I'll look at the manuals again, I see where the fridge is at in the outside bay.

Herman, blunt is good & I appreciate it ;) When I was in my 20's I actually lived for over 5 years in an old, leaky class C (I think it would have been considered a short wheel base) with a hubby (now ex), 2 young kids & a cat. It was so bad that when he bought it, it didn't even have skin on it & we salvaged the hide off an old trailer house to use. It had no air, generator, or furnace.

I remember cooking on the stove so it must have had propane & I think the fridge ran on propane also but we couldn't hook up to electric or water. We always had about 4 tires riding inside with us because it seemed like we had a blowout everytime we went somewhere. So to answer your question about experience.... yes and no LOL!! I have some experience, but not in a fully working, complete rig.

My hubby Tim has quite a bit of experience, but in typical husband fashion... "Don't worry about it sweetheart, I know what I'm doing"... are my usual answers. (He doesn't ask for directions either) LOL! Soooo...I find it easier, and much more reassuring to ask here, where I know I'll get straight shooting answers. Not that I don't trust hubby.... LOL! I just like a 2nd opinion or 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. I suppose I tend to get a little paranoid about things nowdays, when as evidenced in my 20's, I didn't give things a 2nd thought.

If it has a gas/propane furnace, it will have a induced draft exhaust somewhere on the sides/rear? to vent the hot combustion gasses to the outdoors, typically they will be round and covered by a screened dome. trace the propane lines to see where they go.