Sign in to follow this  
Talley

Onan 4000 Microquiet Won't Stay Running

Newbie here and sorry if this topic has been covered but I did not see any topics on this particular genny. I just purchased a 97 Fleetwood Flair and the genny will not stay running. The previous owner did not use the genny at all in over a year, unit has 137 hrs on it, gas tank is full, oil is changed and full, plug looked fouled and oily (winterized?) so replaced with new one and verified I am getting spark.

It tries to start but will not stay running. I've tried starting fluid and manually exercised choke both ways. I do smell gas so thought it was flooding. I'm guessing I need to remove the carb and clean it properly but wanted to get some expert advice before I waste any time. Thoughts?

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Yes, very high likelihood that the carburator is "gunked" with varnish. A replacement or an overhaul is best, but you might try running some Seafoam through it to see if that will clean it up. Suggest you turn off your 120 VAC main breaker, so playing with the generator (less than proper RPM) does not negatively impact your 120 VAC electrical system.

Talley, There will be a name on the carburetor, generally right in the casting. Zenith is quite common on many Gas generators and your year unit could be one of them. There are numbers on them that help the Small engine shops locate rebuild kits. You should have the Make, Model and serial number of the engine to help getting the parts.

They do have some fine adjustments of the internal parts that need to be set properly for the Carburetor to work properly.

The issue with the carb. could be its gummed up as mentioned by Brett.

You could run some carb. cleaner through it and just let it set for a day. There are many good ones. I tend to lean towards Lucas Carburetor and injector cleaner. The other is Stabil, although this is more for storing fuel and engines for longer periods of time. Rust and dirt builds up in the bowls over time and setting is not the best for them either.

When it goes through the fuel system it lubricates the internal parts and helps to revitalize the needle and set. This is the area that is most effected by the new ethanol-containing fuels. This fuel drys out the seals. Running some kind of carburetor cleaner through this kind of system keeps them in operation longer.

Running some Stabil through the fuel system before storing them, extends the fuel stability and keeps the fuel delivery system, oiled up so to speak.

Hope this helps. Rich.