Sign in to follow this  
Vantrippin

Chevy Tracker Towing

I've been looking for a dinghy with an auto tranny to flat tow in the tow weight range of my 2004 Coachman Ford E-450 Class C. I like square things that are short and have a decent ground clearance so I seem to be limited to newer 4X4 Chevy Trackers or an older Jeep Wrangler or Cherokee (weight reasons). The Trackers are the cheapest and being a chintz I lean that way.

Any info I've found on the Trackers states that the towing speed max is 55 MPH. There is never any reason why that is. Is it arbitrary for safety? Will the transfer case oil froth and heat up too much at higher speeds? Will the wheels fall off?

I don't mind 55 on curvy blue highways but feel like a road block on the bigger, faster, four lane expressways.

Ham

I have been towing my 2001 Tracker for ten years. No problems with speed. I do stop every couple of hours and run the engine. Tracker now has 150,000 miles and all I have changed is a 02 sensor and thermostat. I do change oil every 4k miles. Biggest complaint is fuel mileage isn't great for a small vehicle.

We tow a '96 Tracker, two wheel drive, five speed stick. Put shifter in neutral, turn ignition key to "on" position, disconnect negative post connection and GO! Disconnect is a knob connection to battery that only needs about three complete turns to remove circuit connection. No problems at any speed. Have gone as far as 622 miles without stopping to start engine. In fact, never have started Tracker engine while in tow position.

The "Tracker" is a Suziki with a Chevy emblem I believe all the Vitria (spelling) are towable 4 down. check the FMCA guide. Good luck,