genetaylor

Diamond Shield Removal

My Diamond Shield on a 2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Diesel Pusher has deteriorated considerably with multiple cracks and mold/mildew under it. I need to remove it. 3M Adhesive Remover is the recommended material to use. Some folks have recommended also the use of hair dryers to soften the adhesive by heating the surface.My concern is with the paint job. Does anyone have experience with this sort of problem?

I removed the Diamond Shield from my 2006 Kountry Star using a hair dryer. I heated a small section and slowly pealed it off. It took a lot of time, but the results were worth the effort. If you try to rush the job, you could peal paint off the coach. I just did small sections and cut the peal off part off until I had time do do more. Where the shield is wrapped over an edge, ie around the headlights, I did peal a little paint in one spot. So take extra time at those wrapped edges. My advice is take it off slowly.

I just paid a couple of guys to take off the protective shield since it looked horrible with age. they used a

steamer to loosen the plastic off the paint. They did a great job but not cheap. The front now looks great.

I quote Gene Stallings owner of Extreme Graphic "do not use a heat gun, there is no control for the heat. Please use 'Steam'. Maximum temperature of steam is 212 degrees and that temperature will soften the adhesive and not blister the paint." Gene also advise to use a plastic scraper.

Herman

My new Georgetown came with the Diamond Shield and they also supplied a bottle of 303 protectant and instructions to only use that to clean the Diamond Shield with. Hope this will keep it looking good for many years.

I found the company that makes a kit to remove these. I met this guy in 2014 at campground we were set up at in Pigeon Forge TN, lost his business card (still kicking myself for not having him take care of it that day). Anyway http://www.wipeoutsystems.com/store_products.html is the website, you have to call and tell him what you need, its not listed on their website (the site needs updated). He also has a video on youtube. Now all I need is a steamer to heat it up.

Big enemy for Diamond Shield and Paint = Love Bugs! Get them off ASAP!!

I have no pitting on my Shield, therefor, no reason to remove. For me, it's the biggest bang for the bucks and if I ever have to remove

it, I would have it done and re applied by Professionals. My time, is the most valuable asset I have!!!

The Blake Bra looks funky and the Plexi glass will yellow over time! Lexan is price prohibitive...

Carl C.

Carl, the one on my coach is so bad I bought a Black Vinyl nose bra for it to cover up the ugliness. I plan on removing the 3M protector over the winter (weather permitting). I will not put anything back in its place, just the nose bra.

Our coach is at the RV repair facility now undergoing some updates including removal of the 3M coating. The technician, who said he has removed many of these coatings, warned us that we may lose some of the darker paint. We'll cross that bridge if it happens, and if it does, we may take that opportunity to freshen up the look of the front end by having more modern graphics painted on and blended into the existing graphics.

We didn't have any mildew build-up on ours but the tech did show us a coach that was in for repairs that had a considerable amount of green cancer on it's front end.

I took some "before" pictures and will try to post the "after" pictures when completed. Will keep you all posted.

On the lighter side: Carl mentions above that the "Blake Bra looks funky". Since my name is Blake, and I had never heard of a Blake Bra, I Googled it......hahaha.....you'd be amazed of what the search came up with! :rolleyes:

Happy New Year folks........Blake

When I had my coach painted I was offered the 3m shield. The cost was $1250 so I asked how much the repaint the front and was quoted $800. Its been 3 years and over 22000 miles and it still looks good enough that I don't need a repaint.

Blake. No pun intended...LOL :lol:

desertdeals690. If you do need a full paint job in future, go to "Rocky Point" , Mexico....$ 1,200 US for 4 colors! Friend had it done 3 years

ago and I watched...great job!

Carl

I received my kit from WIPEOUT, I am thoroughly impressed! The kit came with safety goggles, full instructions for a do it yourself person rubber gloves all hand tools and chemicals to do the job, everything is labeled and organized and labeled in separate bags based off of each step in the removal process. Hopefully the product works as shown in their video......more to follow when it warms up.

Herman, mine was so bad I had a vinyl nose bra made to cover it up. I am still going to remove it....or at least I think I am anyway. :rolleyes:

This is the type of work I dread, so I enlisted a friend that needs his used coach serviced to do the work on mine, since he is in the automotive body/paint industry I thought it was a fair trade off.

The Panther I just bought has a, I think, plexiglass cover from the w/s down to the bottom of the cap. The genset is dead center and no provision was made to access it, except by removing all mounts on the top 2/3s. What are the chances it has been serviced or checked in the 110 hours it has ben run. I am not sure how I am going to cut it so it is a serviceable addition. It looks brand new as the coach has all of 11,800 miles on it. Any suggestions?

Bill

Bill.

I've never seen one that blocks the gen slide out...all are attached to the slide itself! Can you post a picture? I would remove the whole shield and get at generator first, then either have the shield cut to size or install Diamond Shield, in any event your going to have holes to contend with! :( It's either Plexiglas or Lexan!

Carl

Bill,

In most cases, if there is no cut out for the Gen. slide then you have to remove the outer mounting screws and the shield will come out mounted to the gen. slide.

It shows that you just purchased a 1999 Safari, with only 11K miles, Congratulations. With a unit with that few of miles and the generator with that low of hours I would defiantly do a lot of service if you haven't already done so.

Inspect and replace if needed all belts, hoses, filters, have coolant tested, oils, have the transmission serviced and most assuredly the tires. Did the previous owner have any service records? If not then you need to have everything serviced and start you own record.

Do you know who the previous owned was? If contact them and get all the information you can.

Herman

Herman & Bill.

Since mine did not come with any records, that is the reason I just blew $3,400+ at Cummins, glad I did! Still have Aqua Hot and brakes that TCC will do in April/May while I'm in Europe. Bearings will be changed over to oil bath...thank you for that info!

Carl

I worked at this from 7am to 4pm yesterday. All of the actual shield is gone, and maybe 20% of the glue. The paint beneath looks great except for where a few stones penetrated the shield and two spots where the paint wasn't adhered properly from the factory, once I get all of this mess off I will fix the paint spots.

photo