windchaser

Towing a 1992 Tracker on a dolly

We have a dolly with electric brakes and brakeaway system, and we have been towing a 1993 Honda Acura for 3,000 miles. Recently, we purchased a 1992 Tracker 4/4 with standard transmission. The owners manual recommends towing the vehicle with the rear wheels on a tow dolly.

My question is, should I sell the tow dolly and purchase a flat tow rig? The Tracker has been flat towed and has the attachments. I understand all tow dollys do not recommend towing rear wheels on the dolly. I am confused as to why I cannot put the front wheels of the Tracker on the dolly, because the transmission and transfer case can be put in neutral.

Suggestions appreciated.

Jim

My manual for my 1994 4wd 5 speed standard Tracker also suggests that the Tracker can be towed 4 down from the front. Manual hubs (unlocked), transfer case in neutral, run engine every two hours are also mentioned.

I now tow my 1997 Tracker the same way, and it works very well. I maybe dont run the engine to circulate fluid every 2 hours but I havent noticed any ill effects from not doing so. I also dont have to pull the extra weight of the dolly, and dont have to make sure theres room for the dolly behind the 40' bus in a parking spot when the toad is unloaded.

With curb weight under 3000 lbs, I know lots of people tow them without an auxiliary brake system, but I have one.

I have even had moderate success backing with the 97 Tracker in tow, as long as I back slowly and am on concrete or asphalt. It is a 4 door (longer wheelbase)....maybe that makes a difference?

Best regards.

Mark Morgan

F407220

YOU DO NOT NEED A DOLLY......... Your tracker will tow just fine with four wheels on the ground. I logged over a hundred thousand miles on one before it died ...YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE A AUX BREAKING SYSTEM FOR THE TRACKER EITHER

Seajay the sailor man

YOU DO NOT NEED A DOLLY......... Your tracker will tow just fine with four wheels on the ground. I logged over a hundred thousand miles on one before it died ...YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE A AUX BREAKING SYSTEM FOR THE TRACKER EITHER

Seajay the sailor man

I realize now that I can tow four wheels down and do not need a dolly however I do have a dolly and my MH has a braking system. I also realize my dolly adds some tow weight but since I have it already and it has not been a big problem stowing it when I am in a camp ground as I am a class A 25 ft. with 2 slide outs and trying to bypass purchasing a tow bar and braking system (for the time being) and further note after consulting my daughter who is a insurance exec. advised me not to tow any long distance without a aux breaking system due to negligent operation of my vehicle if it or you get into a wreck.

My owners manual suggests to tow backwards on a dolly which I do not like the idea especially since dolly mfg. say not to do that.

So my question is for anyone that may have towed a std trans 4 wheel drive tracker on a dolly FORWARD and the check list for doing so.

Thanks in advance

JOY

Jim

I too have a 1992 Tracker 4x4 with a 4 spd trans. I have towed this vehicle all 4 down for a number of years at all speeds, including sustained 70 MPH Insterstate travel with no prob;ems whatsoever. Just make sure the steering is not locked, the transfer case in neutral and the hubs in freewheel. email me with any questions. pluhars@sbcglobal.net

If you put the front wheels of the Tracker on the dolly you can not lock them in park as you could a front wheel drive. The only thing holding them there would be the hold down straps and that would not be sufficent. That the reason for towing it with the rear wheels on the dolly. I did this the first time I towed our 2003 Tracker as I had the dolly and the tow bar and base plates had not arrived yet. I had no problem towing it this way except everyone insisted that I had it wrong.

YOU ALWAYS NEED A BRAKE SYSTEM. You will never forgive yourself if that thing breaks away and you are the cause of a fatility.

Dave

If you put the front wheels of the Tracker on the dolly you can not lock them in park as you could a front wheel drive. The only thing holding them there would be the hold down straps and that would not be sufficent. That the reason for towing it with the rear wheels on the dolly. I did this the first time I towed our 2003 Tracker as I had the dolly and the tow bar and base plates had not arrived yet. I had no problem towing it this way except everyone insisted that I had it wrong.

YOU ALWAYS NEED A BRAKE SYSTEM. You will never forgive yourself if that thing breaks away and you are the cause of a fatility.

Dave

Thanks Dave, This is the answer I have been looking for and it makes sense.

I agree as noted before a Brake System is a must for any towed vehicle.

Jim

Get rid of the dolly! Having served on the board of a membership campground - dolly's are just a problem to everyone! Do use suplemental braking for your own safety and the safety of others - not to mention the liability factor.

I have a 1993 Tracker which I have towed both on a dolly and all 4 on the ground. The first several years were on the dolly as I had multiple vehicles that I wanted to take and did not want to rig all for towing 4 on the ground. I alway put the tracker rear wheels on the dolly. The issue is the suspension and the damage it will cause with sustained towing with front end off the ground. You will notice in you owners manual that it is towed by a Tow truck it should be towed from the rear as well. The Tow Dolly manufacture does not recomment putting the rear wheel on the dolly as the front wheel are not locked in a straight forward position. When you tow on the dolly, make sure the front wheel are straight and are locked in that position. I tied the steering in position as I did not want to damage my Steering wheel locking mechanism. I will admit that the preferred way to tow is with all for wheel on the ground. It eliminate the hassle of what to do with the dolly and it is much easier hook up. Make sure you follow the the manufatures recommendation of Transfer case in neutral and transmission in 2d gear. As I usually stopped every couple of hours, I would run my Tracker for a few minutes. The manufacture recommends that it be towed at 55 mph. I normally pulled my around 60-65 and had no problem.

We had a '91 Tracker that we purchased new when we bought our first motorhome. We flat towed that thing all over the place, just over 30k miles following that motorhome around before we traded the motorhome for a 5th wheel (we're back in a motorhome now). In addition to the 30k miles as a dingy, we put well over 100k miles on it as daily transportation before it was sold in favor of something bigger. We never had a lick of trouble. The only real modification we made was an odometer disconnect. It was an electric solinoid that screwed into the transmission where the speedo cable went into the side of the trans, and the cable then screwed into the solinoid. I had it wired so it was activated whenever the Tracker was attached to the motorhome and the motorhome ignition was on. I wish I had it back. It would go anywhere, making it fun to explore back roads to off road (I've owned a number of Jeeps. The Tracker could hold its own) and its so light (I think our 2 door was only 2300 lbs) most any motorhome can tow it with little trouble.

I'd get rid of the dolly. It's just one more thing to have to deal with and maintain.