mcrane@speedconnect.com

Replacing Motorhome Flooring

I live in the eastern part of Iowa. I purchased a 2004 Holiday Rambler which is in very good shape except for the carpeting which is stained or bleached or faded or a combination of everything. I've had it cleaned twice with no improvement so I'd like to replace the carpet with vinyl plank type of flooring and new carpeting in the bedroom, etc.

The local RV dealer here said to go a particular flooring retailer, that they had done it for them before. I did that and the bid on the flooring was outrageous. Perhaps it would be better to go to someone who specialized in RV carpet/flooring replacement. But I don't know of any in this area.

Would anyone have some suggestions for someone in this part of the world that might have some expertise in replacing motorhome flooring?

Thanks for your help.

Hi mcrane,

Just the subject I too am interested in. My query is : Is there a standout, most recommended brand/type of plank vinyl flooring for

motor coach applications! One mentioned to me was the "Allure" brand flooring easily found at Lowes or Home Depot.

mjs

mcrane & mjs.

Welcome both of you to the Forum.

I have been interested in doing the same. I'm not sure that I would go with a floating floor. I would think that a laminate type floor with an underlayment and nailed to the sub floor. I too am interested in hearing from others out there.

I don't think it would be too big a chore for a FIY person.

What say out there??? :huh:

I'm sure there are many good solutions nowadays when carpet is replaced. And my guess is there are good installers. My question though was does anyone know of any good installers experienced with RV flooring near my part of the country, i.e. Eastern Iowa? I see ads for interior renovation including flooring, etc in the FMCA journal but most of those are located a long way from here. Considering that it will be necessary to pick out what you like, obtain cost estimates, order the products, and then have it installed, quite a bit of time will be involved I assume it would be necessary to leave the RV or make several trips back and forth. So I'd like to find someone close by to have all this done. Again, any ideas on good installers around here?

mcrane, and all,

thank you for the helpful info. will certainly persue!

mcrane, as far as finding a "good / competent" flooring person my choice was to look to our large Amish community here in north eastern ohio. skill and honest workmanship are abundant. Reading the Amish paper "The Budget" lets me know there are many clusters of these fine craftsmen in most of the states. Count on fair prices for very nice, top quality workmanship!!

Good luck and success for your endeavors.

mjs4417

I will be traveling to Wisconsin in Aug to do a job, then down to Tenn. I could stop by Iowa on the way north

I put laminate flooring in my last motorhome, and it turned out well. I had no problem with the floating floor. Just remember that the laminate is heavier than the carpet you replace. I didn't have any slides in the Flair, and of course I didn't do the motor cover.

I did my floor this winter, while holidaying in Southern California. This is the stuff I used: http://harmonics-flooring.com, which I found a Costco for cheap. I particularly liked the relatively narrow planks, at 4 7/8" wide. The most difficult part was making the decision to do it. Our carpeting was original off-white Berber (why a motorhome manufacturer would ever choose white carpet is totally beyond me) from Beaver in 1998. I left the bedroom, but am getting some pressure to finish the job there too.

Getting the fixed furniture out of the way was the only tough part, as finding all the fasteners proved elusive. Once that was done, the driver's and passenger's chairs removed, the flooring installation was done in about 4 hours. So total time, from unloading the flooring from the store, to having the celebratory drink, was under 12 hours, spread over 2 days. Having a friend with a chop saw and a table saw that I could borrow, and staying in a park where nobody objected to the commotion of operating those power tools, was a great help.

My Beaver has one slide, and the new flooring goes under the slide floor, a few inches. The galley floor is oak, engineered planks, that meet the new front floor on an angle across the coach. Getting the angle just right takes some care, but isn't difficult. Getting the elevation to match the oak took the addition of a 1/4" plywood subfloor, over the existing OSB subfloor.

The only part of the whole operation that I couldn't do without help was to return the driver's and passenger chairs to their mounting bolts without dragging them across the new flooring. That little bit of extra help cost one beer, and only took 5 minutes.

We did this 4 weeks before heading for home, so have had time to get used to it. The change is definitely worth doing. We will never go back to carpet.

You can pay $3 per sq ft in Lowes or Home Depot, for similar flooring, or $2 in Costco, or lots more in specialty shops.

This should allow you to put estimates into perspective.

The best way to find an installer is to get your yellow pages out and look for " flooring supplies " this is where flooring installers go to buy their installation supplies. There should be a bulletin board hanging with their business cards, or you can call and ask the counter person. Get a name and then start asking questions like how long have you been a installer, do you have refrences and have you ever done a RV. I spent over 40 years in the floor covering trade. The person that asked about "Allure", it is exclusive to Home Depot, I installed it in my Motor Home and was very happy with it

Ernie looks like he knows his stuff! Wonderful photos. I didn't find anyone who did it in my area so put in the allure vinyl flooring from Home Depot with very good success. Easy to install, flexible and weather through our climate well.

As a DIY'r,,,,

When I getaroundtoit,,,,,,I'm replacing the carpet with Allure. It is easy to install and looks great.

I have installed the Allure throughout the house.

Kitchen, 2 baths, foyer, dining area. It's water proof and has held up like new for the last 3 years, especially in the foyer and kitchen where most traffic takes place.

Anyway, may not help you, just my Nickel, inflation!

If anyone has flooring questions, slide operation questions, feel free to ask me. After 40+ years in the business, I know a little~

I finally went to Veurink's RV in Grand Rapids, Michigan and had the carpet replaced. I went to Lowe's where I live here in Iowa and found a Smart Strand carpet style, pattern and color that I like and then ordered it through a Lowes in Grand Rapids. It came in to them in 4 days.

I made an appointment with Veruink's for the next week. All in all, it took about 2 1/2 days to complete although I had a few other things done also. I was extremely pleased with the carpet, the installation and with the service Veurink's provided while I was there. They said they replaced motorhome and travel trailer carpet on a unit about once a weeks. I think the technicians who did mine were Brad and Jim though I'm not certain of the names. They were good and knew what they were doing.

I was also happy Veurinks were a motorhome dealer and knew how to remove furniture, the bed, handle the slides, etc which the local carpet dealers and installers did not. And the price for the installation was about 2/3 what anyone else quoted me. So, I guess you can tell I was very happy with the entire experience. Fact is, after I made the decision to go with it and them, it was almost a vacation in itself. The only problem is, they are about 6 hours from me. Otherwise, I'd use them for all my maintenance needs and problems.

Hi,

My husband and I own a flooring store. My husband specializes in installing new flooring in RV's but when installing LVT (luxury vinyl tile) we only use the top quality Freefit Products which is what the well known Lazyday's RV'S uses.

We also carry another loose lay product called Surefit by Natures Choice, if you want a floor that is going to last than I highly recommend either of these products, Freefit is available in wood look planks with a smooth or sculpted design or 18x18 tiles 2 of which look like Travertine tile, they also have a carpet look tile as well, Surefit is available in wood look planks only. Unlike laminate or the box store kind that has to be either glued or clicked together Freefit or Surefit is entirely loose laid, no glue or clicking and the planks or tiles can easily be replaced if damaged, you also have easier access to any storage just by picking up the plank.

Metroflor's Konecto is another brand that is also just as good but is not a loose lay, both Freefit, Surefit and Konecto are only sold by local dealers.

Just remember to do your research on box store brands and the problems they may have when choosing your flooring!

Happy RV'ING!

Membership date on the Forum is not the same as the date one joins FMCA.

So, if he just joined the Forum, and has been a member of FMCA for years, that all makes sense.

Brett

Ernie, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your input.

What are your thoughts on cork tile for a replacement flooring. I've seen a thin cork layer bonded to a hard underlayment. I've also seen solid cork tiles. I would be leaning toward the solid cork, but would like your expert input.

Sam

I just joined this Forum today and have found it most helpful in answering questions I have had about changing the flooring in or Fleetwood Discovery. You all have given me a lot to think about, hopefully we will get it done by this Winter. We live in SE Arizona.

I'm happy this tread has been rejuvinated. We are now wanting to replace our carpeting with flooring of some type. I'd like to go with the least weight. It's just a matter of time before we get-r-done.