mcrane@speedconnect.com

Replacing Motorhome Flooring

O.K. I just had my 38 ft coach done. I bought the carpet and padding and had an experienced RV carpet installer install it.

$400.00 and 2 days later it was done. The catch is he only works in the winter down in the valley ( Mission and such ) in Texas.

Excellent work for an old retired guy.

Good luck,

John

Folks, I am booked solid till the end of April, 2015. and I don't use quarter round- cause I cut new material tight against the walls and cabinets. and I believe I'm the only one installing wood on slides.

I have carpet and plan to keep carpet (ceramic tile in the kitchen). It feels better under foot and when it's cold outside a wood or tile floor is cold but my carpet is still warm. The vacuum keeps things clean and a good professional cleaning twice a year keeps them looking good as well. We have high quality StainMaster and high quality underlayment that is now 20 years old. While it does not look like new, it doesn't look bad either. It's just time for new.

Ernie did our 2001 Dutch Star about 2 years ago. I you are serious about doing a flooring replacement, we agree with the statement about him being the best in the country. Do a google search for Ernie the rv flooring guy and call him. No one is more knowledgeable. He does lot and lots of mh's and prefers engineered wood. If we were to do it over we would likely do with something other than engineered wood. We love it but it is a pain to keep looking good. We travel with our dog and for months at a time.

We had our motorhome (2002 Revolution) upgraded this past winter . We had new A/Cs with heat pumps (our furnaces were removed), water heater, new residential refrigerator, and other odds and ends. This was done at Creative Coach at Lakeland Florida. We are very happy with all their work. Was it expensive? Indeed it was. But in my 80 years, I find that you get what you pay for. Their place of business is just North of I-4 on Highway 33 in Lakeland Florida. Lester kept us informed as how the work was progressing. I purchased this RV new in 2002 and have 118,000 miles on the odometer. I have 6 new tires and I suspect the RV will out last me. I forgot to say all flooring, carpet and tile, was replaced with top grade vinyl flooring.

Phil

# F243907

Everyone can access all photos easily on my forum. I have had a flurry of new members join. I guess the writing of a few here are a testament to what I do, and I thank them. Ernie- my real name

As you consider new floor covering, I would like to recommend cork. We installed solid (not laminate) cork about 18 months ago in our coach. Some pluses: it is light weight, a good insulator (warm feeling floors on cold mornings), flexible, water resistant, a green product (renuable resource), can be refinished, and is not hard underfoot. The cork we used came in foot square tiles and was applied with a contact cement. As I recall, it was 1/4 inch thick. We do not live in the MH fulltime, so the flooring sees a full range of temperature extremes. Our slide does not contact the main floor, so we did not have to be concerned about that.

We are very pleased with our flooring selection. We left the carpet in the doghouse area of our front engine MH.

Hi, I have a 2001 Monaco Diplomat and I had the interior completely remodeled during the winter of 2011/12 due to toilet water that damaged the tile floor in the bathroom. Anyway, the interior of the RV was completely gutted front to back including al walls and the big slide-out removal.

After the subfloor was re-decked, they put down new 1/8" luan plywood. Then they lay down what's called a "mul underlayment" which is not adhered to the luan plywood...it floats on top.

Then we had Mannington ADURA 16x16" tiles glued to the MUL laid on the diagonal (no grout joint) from the front thru the kitchen and the bathroom. Each box had 12 tiles and covered 21.33 sq ft. (We also had this same tile in the kitchen of our house too.) In the bedroom, the same luan and MUL was used but we installed Adura "Timber Ridge" lock planking. These are 3.66" wide and 35.66 inches long. There are 16 pc to a box which cover 14.5 sq ft. The flooring looks great and is very easy to clean.

The only issue we had is that the dumb RV dealer that did the restoration only stapled the perimeter of the 4x8 sheets of luan plywood, so the next summer the floor developed "air pockets or bumps" under the luan. Since the 16x16" tiles were not glued directly to the luan, I took a razor knife and carefully cut along 4 tiles at a time to remove the tiles along with the mul (which is glued to the bottom of the tile). Then I used 1" drywall screws to screw the luan back down to the subfloor to remove the bump. I used carpet tape along each adjoining tile to secure the previously removed tiles back into place. Now you'd never know that they were even removed.

Jeff, I'm surprised that the dealer did not screw/glue that luan down all over. Humidity will make that stuff pop up like a balloon.

We put a Karndean brand product in our home. It is a glue down vinyl flooring which looks like wood, has grain and our particular one was 5 inch plank. If you look at "wood" flooring in produce departments of grocery stores that is Karndean flooring. Varies in price, quality etc.

Google kardean.we love ours. Not sure about install in an RV...make sure floor is level and smooth.

I replaced the carpet in my Country Coach last fall. For me, it was a DIY project, not difficult. The entire job took me about 16 hours not including the transition molding strips. I went with engineered hardwood. Turned out great.

I'll try and attach a pic.

RJ

2005 Inspire #51264

post-22254-0-53664000-1402954794_thumb.j

Hi Ernie. I just joined the forum today to ask a question, but first some background:

I have a 38' 1993 Rexhall Aerbus (no slides). When Rex built this bus, he laid the carpeting down on the entire subfloor, except in the kitchen, prior to installing any of the interior walls, cabinets, etc.

I am planning on replacing the old carpeting with the Allure vinyl tiles from HD (floating floor), even though the manufacturer says that install in an RV will void the warranty.

I have read several posts in the different forums from other RVer's who have installed this product in their RV's without issue-one of these was even in a pop-up trailer and the owners are very pleased with the results.

(On a side note, Whirlpool won't warranty my new residential fridge either, but that didn't stop me from upgrading.)

I am thinking I'll just cut the carpeting at the base of all walls & cabinets and then use 1/4 round to trim it out. Of course I'll remove all the furniture first.

Here are my questions:

Will leaving the existing carpeting underneath the walls and built-in cabinets cause any unforeseen future issues?

Any insight is appreciated.

Mike

I have a 38' 1993 Rexhall Aerbus (no slides). When Rex built this bus, he laid the carpeting down on the entire subfloor, except in the kitchen, prior to installing any of the interior walls, cabinets, etc.

I am planning on replacing the old carpeting with the Allure vinyl tiles from HD (floating floor), even though the manufacturer says that install in an RV will void the warranty.

I'm doing the same project on my 1997 Rexhall Vision....Good luck on yours.

Many manufacturers install walls, cabinets, etc on top of carpet. This is a fast way to get them off the assembly line and to the dealer and they don't have to use any skilled flooring installer. I just cut the old carpet and install new material. There will be no issues in leaving material under cabinets/walls.

Many manufacturers install walls, cabinets, etc on top of carpet. This is a fast way to get them off the assembly line and to the dealer and they don't have to use any skilled flooring installer. I just cut the old carpet and install new material. There will be no issues in leaving material under cabinets/walls.

Thanks for the insight... That was my plan, but I figured I had better get some more knowledge before I blindly dive in.

:)

Mike

I'm doing the same project on my 1997 Rexhall Vision....Good luck on yours.

My project will not begin for a up to two months... Please let me know how yours turns out if you're doing it sooner than that.

Thanks.

I have a 2004 Beaver Santiam and as everybody has said light colored carpeting with all the mentioned problems. My living room is carpet and my kitchen is all tiled. I can remove the furniture pretty easily.

Is their a book or some kind of video I can get to help me. Note where the kitchen tile meets the carpet it is a curved sculpture.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Robert J. Smith

e-mail: yumafujimo@gmail.com

After being a member of FMCA for years, I didn't know we had a forum. I'm alive and well and can assist whenever I can. For photos go to http://ernieekbergflooring.net

Hi Ernie. I finally joined on your yahoo forum so I could view your pics... WOW! You truly do awesome work.

I've gained a ton of ideas that I think I can apply on our old '93 Aerbus.

Quick question about entry stairs: What is that Stair Tread that you use in many photos and is it available online somewhere?

Thanks.

Mike

Mike- that tread is made by Roppe from Fostoria, Ohio.

It comes in many colors. Be advised, this is commercial grade rubber and will last forever and is priced high.