Sign in to follow this  
alisasings

Instrument Panel Not Working

1987 Fleetwood bounder 31ft on Chevy chassis.

There is a panel on the dash that shows all the water tanks, the L.P. Gas, and the battery amounts. All you had to do is push a button and it would tell you how full/empty each one is.

They worked until hubby put new batteries in the R.V. Now they don't.

Maybe coincidence but any idea why they stopped working? I'm reading the manuals but not seeing it.

There is a multiple pin Connector for the gauges that Read the Black,Gray,Fresh water,LP and battery levels that is temperamental.

Check that one, its right behind the display panel.

That is the only system you mentioned that is not working, so I'm thinking its just happenstance that it quit when the batteries where replaced.

I did own a 87 Bounder and they did quite working twice and the connection was loose.

Rich.

Thanks Rich! Is it hard to get in there to check that? I'm assuming you had to pull it out of the dash?

I did not pull the dash per say. I removed the driver side set. This gave me more room to work under the dash,because I could lay on my back and get a better look behind the panel and the wiring.

This allowed me to see what needed to be loosen to get items out where I could make sure the connections and cabling where in order.

It is a tight spot. See if you can trace the power wire back to a bad fuse.

I never did have any wiring diagrams,just made very detailed notes. I wish I could tell you that I had them so I could refer to them,but not the case. My wife informs me that I'm a pack rat.

Mine did have a multiple pin connector from the harness going to the monitored areas to a connection that was part of the panel mounted in the dash area.

With all the gauges not working, look first for a loose ground or power interruption.a single gauge would mean just that circuit had a circuit or connection issue.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Thanks again for your help. Turns out it was just a fuse. Replaced it and it all works again... We never seem to think to check the simple things first LOL!!

Now all we have to do is get the squirrel cage in the furnace working and we'll be set. We tried the furnace yesterday and that thing went to squalling so loud I grabbed my lil dog & bailed out of the rig! LOL! Too bad it's located behind everything. I personally think a good dose of WD-40 would take care of it but hubby doesn't think so (aside from the fact that I can't get to it).

What furnace do you have. Most of them have their blower motor (running the squirrel cage(s) accessible from the outside-- open the furnace outside access door). Do not use WD40. It is often possible to extend the life of the bushings (they are not bearings) by using a light viscosity non-detergent oil such as sewing machine oil.

Brett

Okay, no WD-40! I'm from Texas & we fix everything with duct tape, baling wire, & WD-40 LOL! I'll have to look & see what furnace we have.

Okay.. We are also having issues with our instruments.. They were working until lunch time today and then stopped and then worked again and now it's not.. Not sure why they aren't working..

We have a 2002 Rexhall Rexair Motorhome (Diesel).. Any ideas on this and how to get them going again.

Okay.. We are also having issues with our instruments.. They were working until lunch time today and then stopped and then worked again and now it's not.. Not sure why they aren't working..

We have a 2002 Rexhall Rexair Motorhome (Diesel).. Any ideas on this and how to get them going again.

An intermittant issue like that can often be traced to a loose ground wire.

Also, please post what chassis you have and what gauges are doing what. Are any other electrical items "misbehaving" when this occurs?

gkonechney,

Welcome to the Forum.You did see that this is 7 year old posting.

But don't worry we may be able to help. In most DP there is a fuse panel located in a bay in front of the front wheel on the drivers side.

Good luck,

Herman

With all the variations I would call 

FLEETWOOD Parts, Service & Technical Support 800-322-8216

They can send you wiring diagrams and tell you where to look.

Bill