Sign in to follow this  
bobgudde

1999 Safari Sahara, Magnum Chassis, Cat 3126b. Engine Won't Start.

After replacement of one house battery, one of four, engine will not start from ignition key, and Allison shift panel is dark. Engine will start from service panel in rear of coach and shut down from ignition key. Replaced ignition key switch, no change. House battery voltage is good and all house equipment works as normal. Shore power and battery charging thru inverter is normal. Coach is in shop now and we need electrical schematic.

I purchased the coach new in 1999 and have tried to get wiring schematics many times from Safari, SMC, Monoco and at rallies in Oregon, as well as the old Harrisburg plant before and after being taken over by Monaco. It appears to be a fuse in a line somewhere, but we cannot locate it if it exists. I think the battery replacement was coincidental to the starting problem but not sure.

Model year: 1999

Vehicle ID: S35G012786

Chassis ID: 4SLA7BN25X1112786

Completion Date: 02/99

Coach Model: 3506 Sahara 35' FD Q TUB

Engine: Cat 3126b Ser No 7AS48774

Transmission: Allison MD 3060 29533815

Bob,

I'm not an owner of your model. However, what you describe sounds like a blown ignition fuse. They are most often located in the fuse panel under the dash or around the front firewall.

The coach should have a Battery Control Center that cross connects the Chassis and Coach battery circuits. There is an ignition circuit feed that goes to the center and often controls the start relays. It could be a blown fuse in the center.

BCC's are connected and powered from the Chassis batteries,so its possible that there is a bad fuse in the ignition circuit in this unit.

Do items like the power seats and foglights or any items not work in the coach that did before you changed the battery?

Rich.

To continue with Rich's description, the ignition switch controls an IGNITION SOLENOID (not start solenoid). As he asked, if items that only work with the ignition on don work (dash HVAC fan for example) find and verify that the ignition solenoid is working properly.

With ignition on, you should have 12+ VDC to both large lugs.

Brett

Until you get power to the shift panel, nothing will happen. You have a loose or corroded hot wire missing on the chassis battery. Seeing as how you were in the battery bay, that's where i would start. I know, been there done that.

John

2000 safari z