Sign in to follow this  
karenandcollins

Flat Towing 2012 Chevy Equinox- Miles Adding Up

We just bought a new 2012 Chevy Equinox & have flat towed from TX to San Diego & all the miles are on the car's odometer. I called Chevy yesterday & the guy I spoke with wasn't particularly knowledgeable, but did some checking & came back & said there was no way to avoid that except use a dolly, which we don't want to do since we bought this to flat tow.

I sure hate to think about using up my whole warranty on a car I'm not even driving that much.

Anyone have any experience with this.

Thanks

This probably isn't going to help much, but I do remember about 8-10 years ago a company advertised a product that disconnected the speedometer when the power cord was connected to the motorhome. I have no personal experience with it and haven't heard anything about it in recent years so it probably was discontiuned. I remember thinking at the time that it sounded like it would violate the laws about not messing with the speedometer readings, but that was just a guess. Maybe someone out there will read this and will remember who made the product. If someone could provide the company name, maybe you could track it down. Or just try googling "speedometer disconnect."

Good luck!

Jack

I have a 2010 Equinox that I recently started to dinghy tow.

I will have to check but I don't believe the odometer registers the mileage. In your owners manual should be a procedure to follow for dinghy towing. The procedure involves removing the "discrete logic ignition switch" fuse. This fuse is located in the instrument panel fuse block located on the passenger side panel of the center console. This may stop the recording of mileage during towing.

Sorry I couldn't give you a firm answer.

Good luck,

Bill

I have a 2010 Equinox, this is what I did: I had a battery disconnect at the battery put on similar to the shut off switch on the RV battery. Mounted it on the back side of the core support. I ran a power line off the positive post of the battery with a fuse to inside the vehicle and mounted left side under the dash lower plastic dash panel to run a Brake Buddy. Brake Buddy will provide this kit for free if you call them.

When I tow I put the vehicle in neutral , ignition switch on, disconnect the power and nothing will show as to mileage. No longer need to pull fuses.

Our 2011 does not register mileage when we tow it. There is a fuse to pull to keep the battery from discharging, but when not pulled the mileage still does not register. I would call the Chevrolet customer hot line and ask them.