Sign in to follow this  

I noticed during a check of the front suspension that my tie rod end boots were tattered. There was lots of grease around them, fortunately.

On the advice of MH owner friends, I just dropped my tie rod, glued on universal boots purchased for $8 from the auto parts store.

It required a Pittman Arm Puller, the larger size, loaned from the store. And, an impact wrench was required to break loose the castellated nut, re-torque it to the specified 250 in lbs setting.

The new boot doesn't have the stiff ring molded into the upper edge, but has a thicker wall than the notoriously flimsy stock items.

According to Spartan, if the boot has been broken for an unknown period, the tie rod end must be replaced. Their technical manuals have specifications for assessing wear that necessitates replacement.

Since mine were both tight and encased in grease; so, I repacked them, and returned to service. I just came in from a test drive minutes ago, and all seems well. Pictures are at my online Picasaweb album HERE.

Andy, as long as there s no play / wiggle in the ball joint all should be well. When its time to replace one, you will know when you do your walk around so to speak under the coach and one of them moves. You get the, that is not right feeling real quick.

The fact that it was covered in grease,that would keep the dirt and water out of the pivot area. The seals are there to keep the grease confined around the area.

Rich.

P.S. A man after may own heart. Nothing like knowing your machine is ready to go.

The little things can eat you up !!

Andy, Here are my thoughts.Boots broken but full of greses. That grease has all kinds of road debri in it now. That grease will penitrate to lube along with the Debri. I would replace the Tie Rod Ends, fill with Fresh new grease and have the front end aligned.

Good Luck,

Herman

Andy, as long as there s no play / wiggle in the ball joint all should be well. When its time to replace one, you will know when you do your walk around so to speak under the coach and one of them moves. You get the, that is not right feeling real quick.

The fact that it was covered in grease,that would keep the dirt and water out of the pivot area. The seals are there to keep the grease confined around the area.

Rich.

P.S. A man after may own heart. Nothing like knowing your machine is ready to go.

The little things can eat you up !!

Hear, hear! And, the little things are those generally that each of us can detect, if not control. I highlighted the part of your response instrumental to all of us, doing our Pre-Trip Inspections. Herman, I was leaning in that direction, called Spartan to confirm my decision. Even then, I cleaned and purged then inspected each close-up. Even then, they'll each get a lot of attention from here on.

Thanks for the thumbs-up, all: the wife and a girlfriend (hers) are next up for a 400 mile trip (I'm in recurrent training then), I want them to be safe.

(Thanks, Dwight! Hey, that's my middle name. 'Born to college students, to smooth the way Mom and Dad named me after each grandfather.)