Sign in to follow this  
franlarry

Washing Machine

We have a 2008 Dutch Star, model 4304, with full size washer.

Has anyone found a successful product to get rid of oder and mold in a washer?

I do leave the door open as long as possible after doing a load, but it drives my husband crazy as that blocks space to get by. I also take out the soap dispenser. I try drying around the seal; there are a zillion grooves to get into and very time consuming. Getting into the larger part of the seal is possible, but I am afraid I am going to ruin the fit by pulling the rubber every which way to dry all those areas that I discovered will collect mold. There must be an easier way.

I have tried sprays and even run an empty cycle with some chlorox. (OOPS! I just read that's bad for the tank).

Not only does the washer have a musty odor and some dried on black mold spots inside the seal, recently my towels are left with a slight musty smell.

Thanks. I did find lots of suggestions and have since tried several commercial products & remedies, however I think I will probably have to get the seal replaced. (that, short of buying a new machine.) I assume that can be done. fran

I have this problem with my home front loader. I DO leave the washer door open slightly and use washing machine cleaners. But the biggest thing I have found to help is a hot water cycles and NOT using fabric softener. I will also will add a little OxiClean, especially to towels. This has totally stopped moldy smell. GOOD LUCK!