aztec7fan

The Walking Dead

Here's a completely different type of topic, just for a fun discussion:

My son recently got me into watching the series on AMC called "The Walking dead". Basically 99% of humans are dead or zombies, and the few surviving members band together and travel together trying to find others. They travel in a mix of vehicles, but the main vehicle is a 1970's Winnabego Brave, which frequently breaks down with a radiator hose problems.

My question is, if you are one of the few surviving members of the human race, wouldn't you "upgrade" to a better motor home, something built in the last few years with a good working generator, water filtration system, and possibly clothes washer/dryer?

Happy travels!

Guest BillAdams

Not if one is not available and not if fuel mileage was a concern. I would prefer a horse if I absolutely had to be there! Obviously, I have not seen the show so I don't know why everyone became zombies, but if the guy pumping fuel is going to eat my brains I think I might choose some other form of transportation.

Have not seen the show, but my thoughts:

Why go with a Winnebago? I agree, better choices are available. The Styrofoam structure of the Brave would allow the zombies much easier access to the tasty brains inside. I think I would choose something with a metal body, like a Prevost or even better, a skoolie. The Skoolie is the better choice imo because of higher ground clearance, I doubt the zombie road crews are repairing the roads for the low clearance Prevost to travel.

Also, hubby pointed out, there are lots of windows in the skoolie to use when shooting zombies.

***Spoiler Alert***

The Winnebago Brave might have had some mechanical problems, but, sadly, it outlives Dale, the character on "The Walking Dead" who owns it. Beneath the surface, I think Dale enjoyed tinkering with his classic coach and wouldn't have been happy with an upgrade.

I haven't seen Season 3 of the show, which airs on AMC. But Season 2, available on Netflix streaming, is very good.

***Spoiler Alert***

The Winnebago Brave might have had some mechanical problems, but, sadly, it outlives Dale, the character on "The Walking Dead" who owns it. Beneath the surface, I think Dale enjoyed tinkering with his classic coach and wouldn't have been happy with an upgrade.

I haven't seen Season 3 of the show, which airs on AMC. But Season 2, available on Netflix streaming, is very good.

Since you've seen season two, I guess you see that the Brave finally meets a fiery end, an episode or two after Dale meets his demise. Kind of sad to see it go.

You'll love season 3 even more! Great new characters, and a loss of some favorites.

Recently, I saw a book titled something like "how to survive the zombie apocolypse," and they discuss transportation. they do not recommend "busses" due to their slow speed, large windows, and poor gas mileage, which are all good points, but I still would stick with my motor home for the comfort and self-contained abilities. There's a lot to be said for being able to take a hot shower (after killing a bunch of zombies).

Ah, now I remember ... the Winnebago Brave didn't make it off the farm land. Too bad.

Those zombies are so slow, you could escape from them in a Zamboni. But I agree that the self-containment of motorhomes would be beneficial, and their roofs are great lookout points for spotting -- and shooting -- the walking dead.

I don't get AMC, so I'll have to wait for Season 3 on Netflix, I guess.