tbutler

Diesel fuel prices - What's up?

For several weeks now, diesel prices in Missouri have been "abnormal." The old standby for low diesel prices, FJ has prices that are 12 to 14 cents per gallon above some other suppliers. At exit 203 on I-70, an independent supplier, Mr. Fuel (has dedicated truck/RV pumps) has had diesel prices at $2.399 for the last several weeks. Meanwhile, FJ prices have been around $2.50 and higher. I have noticed that QT stores also are advertising diesel at $2.399 across the state. I won't be going into a QT any time soon as the quick shops are just too difficult to get in and out of the pumps for a big rig. If you are traveling through the mid-west, check the local prices as compared to the FJ prices.

Are locals in other areas noticing the same thing in other parts of the country? Should I be looking for fuel suppliers other than FJ? Is there a fuel price web site that gives fuel prices for dealers other than the major suppliers? Share your secrets to finding the best fuel prices.

If anyone has information that explains why this unusual situation exists I would love to hear it.

Many of you probably already have this site saves as a "favorite." It makes a very quick comparison of state to state prices at all Flying-J's in North America. Sure easy to determine in which state to stop and fill up.

I use this one (gasoline prices) because it gives the price of propane as well as diesel, and each grade of gasoline.

Flying J Prices-- Gas, Diesel and Propane

Brett Wolfe

For several weeks now, diesel prices in Missouri have been "abnormal." The old standby for low diesel prices, FJ has prices that are 12 to 14 cents per gallon above some other suppliers. At exit 203 on I-70, an independent supplier, Mr. Fuel (has dedicated truck/RV pumps) has had diesel prices at $2.399 for the last several weeks. Meanwhile, FJ prices have been around $2.50 and higher. I have noticed that QT stores also are advertising diesel at $2.399 across the state. I won't be going into a QT any time soon as the quick shops are just too difficult to get in and out of the pumps for a big rig. If you are traveling through the mid-west, check the local prices as compared to the FJ prices.

Are locals in other areas noticing the same thing in other parts of the country? Should I be looking for fuel suppliers other than FJ? Is there a fuel price web site that gives fuel prices for dealers other than the major suppliers? Share your secrets to finding the best fuel prices.

If anyone has information that explains why this unusual situation exists I would love to hear it.

Tom...Prices in Ohio have been going up. They started going up here several days before Memorial Day. We just passed a TA on I-90 and the Diesel price was $2.71. We are now in Presque Isle, Pa for a couple of days. We are planning a 30 day trip to Santa Fe in August. We try to stop at FJ if they are along our way.

Road Dog

I have the Flying J fuel prices page bookmarked and use it frequently as we travel across the country. I also have bookmarked other diesel fuel suppliers, Pilot http://www.pilotcorp.com/, TA http://www.tatravelcenters.com/, Love's http://www.loves.com/, and MSN gasoline at http://autos.msn.com/everyday/GasStationsBeta.aspx.

In addition I have bookmarked a number of web sites for truckers that list all truck stops by state. These are helpful if I need to find the nearest station along my route. Trucker.com at http://www.trucker.com/TruckStops.aspx, AITA at http://www.aitaonline.com/TS/Locations.html, Truckers Choice (covers central US and some of east coast) at http://www.truckerschoice.com/truckstops.shtml, Truck Stop Info at http://www.truckstopinfoplus.com/. None of these sites have price information.

What I really want to know is... are other retailers like the Mr. Fuel located just a mile from where I am parked beating Flying J consistently on diesel prices? If they are, let us all know your local information so we might look for better prices. I have never found retailers, even quick shops, beating FJ on diesel prices. Being from the area where Mr. Fuel and Flying J (Warrenton, MO) are, I knew their prices were almost always identical. But now Mr. Fuel has been consistently lower. Jim Tate might be right and if so, I need to quit going to Flying J by default and start shopping for diesel again.

Meanwhile if you are traveling through Missouri on I-70, stop at Mr. Fuel at exit 203 for the best price on diesel for miles around. Prices remain at $2.399 as of today, June 23, 2009!

Try MapQuest and click on the gas price button at the top of the page. They have prices listed by zip codes. I belive all local stations that report their prices are listed. Gas, Diesel, and alternate fuel prices are available. It also has addresses and maps for each station.

Just went from New Mexico to Atlanta, GA and back.

FJ, TA, Petro, Loves all have higher fuel prices by $.08 to $.32/ gallon than some of the smaller chains and independents. We did see fuel prices as high as $2.689 in Atlanta. The lowest we paid was at a Krogers in Arkansas at $2.289/gal and the highest was in Amarillo, TX at the Loves at 2.589/gal. I found it lower away from the interstate but we would have had to drive enough distance that the $ savings on the fill-up would have been consumed by the additional distance traveled. Loves was right by the RV Park, by the way the Oasis RV Park there is super! $20.00/night for a class A decending to $17.00 and $15.00 depending on size/class. Third night FREE. No charge Laundry , All concrete pads and paved. Clean, clean clean.

As for Fuel, what we like to do is find highways that parallel the interstate and travel them. It pretty consistantly take us by an independent that has lower prices and I like trading with the local folks as well

PS I fueled just East of Albuquerque (home) for $2.509/gal just this afternoon at a Smith's Grocery. Nothing like the fuel prices this time last year where we saw fuel as high as $5.199 in the East

Thank you guys! Great information. I've bookmarked the fuel price sites and use MapQuest but hadn't picked up on the fuel prices on that site. The information comparing prices of the majors with other suppliers will be useful to many of our members. We all appreciate saving a little money on fuel!

We have noticed the same trend that Flying J is not always the best pricing on diesel fuel. We have driven more than 5,000 miles from Texas to Iowa to Virginia and back to Iowa since April 30. At lease three times during our trips, we have encountered higher prices of diesel fuel at Flying J than at other Travel Centers. One exception is Carmel Church Flying J in Virginia where the diesel prices were 8 to 12 cents cheaper than nearby truck stops. At two Flying J's, the RV Island pricing was changed to the same as auto diesel, about 18 cents more than posted prices. It appears many of the Flying J stations have not been maintained to a cheerful or inviting experience. We are shopping around and will continue to do so because we have at least another five to seven thousand miles to travel this summer. :);):rolleyes:

We use Dieselboss for diesel prices across the country. It is updated every Mon and Thurs. It shows all the major diesel fuel companies across the US and Canada, shows the exit number and lists the price.

Tweety Coach

2004 Monaco Exec towing a trailer

:rolleyes: We have also noted how the fuel prices have been increasing.

We stay put in the summer and head out before the snow falls

(Wisconsin). Deisel prices are also lower then. When we were

heading home last April I did question FJ about their prices and

the bankrupcy came up. Since then I've heard that the company

owned FJ's are usually cheaper that the franchise stores. We

like the FJ's mostly because of access, -.05c on propane prices

the penny discount on fuel, and the big thing, being able to get

cash prices using a credit card. They treat us RV'ers good so I'm

inclined most of the time to use them if they're only 2c or 3c more.

I've gone by because of the price only to find everyone is about

the same or higher further down the line. :)

Just got back from Atlanta a couple of weeks ago and found Race Way to be cheaper in West Monroe, LA (2.35) and

Marietta, GA (2.35). Many of the Race Ways are now putting in diesel pumps and have always been very competitve.

Our local FJ at this time has the lowest gas and diesel prices around. Go figure?????? We are at the mercy of the greedy.

Egon

'99 CC Allure

Weird situation here in Altoona, Iowa. Right now, July 5, WalMart has diesel at $1.99/gal. It's been at that price for over a week. They even put up a special sign by the street to advertise the price. The Walmart is about a mile south of I-80 on 8th St., SW in Altoona. Gasoline is at $2.25.