Sign in to follow this  
dewat

EMS-HW50C Installation

To the Well of Knowledge I come again. I've searched here and Googled, but didn't see an answer, so please forgive me if I may have missed it.

I just received my PI EMS-HW50C for my coach. I would like to install this device using plugs on each end... plug in, plug out if the need arises. What I don't know how to do is remove the 50 amp jack (male plug) on the side of the coach. This is the Thor Hurricane that uses the 125/250V 50 AMP twist plug-in directly on the side of the coach (it does not have any wiring coming from the basement). I can very easily get to the back side of the jack by removing a bottom dresser drawer in the bedroom. Looking at the jack from the back in the bedroom, I do not see any hardware that will enable me to remove this plug from its housing. Looking at the plug from outside of the coach, I see two small machined screws directly across from each other in the base of the plug. I do not want to just arbitrarily remove these screws for fear that there may be a nut somewhere on the back side that I may not be able to reinstall. Therefore, I ask those in the know here if these two screws on at the base of the plug on the outside secure the plug to the housing, or do they perform some other function that I will just complicate if I remove the screws.

Thanks in advance...

DeWat, You are a smart man. I see a screw and I remove it. Then say oh %^&% I should not have done that. But some how I always find a way.

Good Luck.

Herman

DeWat,

I would call Thor for detail on the installation of the shore power inlet OR, get a brand name and model off it, OR take a photo and post here.

Herman and Brett, as always THANK YOU both! Well, it looks like I may have to just splice into the wire from the back making this a moot point. I was hoping to replace the jack/plug with a self wired plug from the EMS, thus leaving the original wiring unaltered. However, this looks like more trouble than worth unless I just splice instead. I'll probably still add plugs to the splice in case of future removal. My jack is a "Marinco", and looks exactly like the one pictured here except mine is white: http://www.wholesale.../p/MAR-6365CRN/.

Herman, thanks for the compliment. Our maiden voyage will be to Williamsburg for the Memorial Day weekend, but I told the DW that I was not taking any trips until two major additions... TPMS (TST507 completed) and power protection (EMS-HW50C in possession waiting for installation). I have a BUNCH of other things I want to do, but these were my musts before any trips.

Here are the pictures of what is probably Thor's entry level plugins:

Closed.jpg

Opened.jpg

Back.jpg

Yes, a reasonable option is to splice the EMS in between the Marinco inlet and the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch).

Your Marinco cover needs to be removed from the side of the coach. The 50 amp receptacle is attached to it, so will come out with it, then you can undo the two screws you were concerned about in order to access the wire terminals, if you need to. A 30 amp version of this is what we use on our boat. Other than a jump in size, the 50 is the same design as the 30.

Why would you want to install plugs on both ends of the EMS? As far as I know, these units are not made to be in the weather so they must be installed inside the coach. Its pretty easy to install one, I have installed two now in two separate RVs. I found the hardest part was running the wire for the remote monitor. If its installed right near the transfer box, it should be easy to access should the need arise and servicing them is pretty straight forward with only a few serviceable parts..

Why would you want to install plugs on both ends of the EMS? As far as I know, these units are not made to be in the weather so they must be installed inside the coach. Its pretty easy to install one, I have installed two now in two separate RVs. I found the hardest part was running the wire for the remote monitor. If its installed right near the transfer box, it should be easy to access should the need arise and servicing them is pretty straight forward with only a few serviceable parts..

Since this is our first coach, and just considered a starter coach, it is much easier to get "approval" from the DW if I can show her that my more expensive desires will be easily removable if/WHEN we trade up. The purpose of the plugs is so the EMS can be "plugged" inline and removed just as easily. I still have not taken the actual task on because the size of the 6 guage wiring coupled with the very tight installation area is intimidating to me. I'm now leaning on taking everything (which I already have at the ready) to an electrician who I have dealt with before, and just paying him for "time served" to wire the plugs and outlets.