Sign in to follow this  
Ralph

State Regulations

Could someone please help clear up just what the national or individual state regulations are concerning having supplemental braking on your towed vehicle .

I have been told that if I do not install braking system such as Brake Buddy I could be voiding my insurance coverage. Others tell me that this is something that has been discussed for years and that currently only four states require systems be installed for vehicles over 3,000 lbs.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Ralph,

Welcome to the forum.

Some states require supplemental braking systems on all towed vehicles. Some have a min. weight limit. For example Texas requires any thing over 4,200 lbs. to have a sup. brake system.

As far as whether insurance companies require them is up the the individual companies.

All that being said it is not a good idea to tow a vehicle without a sup. brake system. No matter what you are driving a tow vehicle is added weight that is free wheeling when you apply your brakes and put added strain on your brakes. Just think of having to make an emergency stop and your tow bar is not level with your coach. This could cause the tow vehicle's front end to go up into the back of your coach causing damage to both your coach and car/truck.

When on the Highway it is always better to be SAFE then SORRY.

Good Luck and be Safe not Sorry.

Herman

Goo