RJEJ

Fort Worth, TX to Kemah, TX

Question

We will be going next week to the Marina Bay RV park in Kemah, TX (south of Houston), but really don't want to drive through Houston on I-45 but might not be too bad if we time it right. However, it looks like we can take I-45 and then go east by Pasadena on the outside loop, pickup I-45 again to Kemah, or come down through College Station, into the west side of Houston, getting on the W Sam Houston Tollway and then intersect with I-45 on into Kemah. My choice would be through College Station, avoiding I-45 but not sure if that would be the better route and also know that sometimes MH's pulling a toad can be hit with heavy tollway fees. Suggestions appreciated.

RJ

9 answers to this question

Unless you are driving through Houston during rush hour, easiest is to just go straight through on I 45. The College Station route is a little longer, and has small towns on it. Not terrible, but no compelling reason to go that way, as 290 into Houston can also be congested.

We drive this route all the time, as we live in League City.

Thanks Brett. I called Marina Bay RV and they said the same thing. Not bad if we time it to go through Houston around noon. However this means we will probably try to stay outside of Houston and drive in the next day rather than making the trip in one day. Any suggestions on RV parks along I-45, say 75 miles or so out from Houston. Also, any knowledge about Marina Bay RV park?

Thanks for your help,

RJ

Can't help with parks north of Houston-- close enough to our home that we just drive on through.

What day/time of day would you be hitting Houston?

I ride my bike through Marina Bay RV all the time-- sites are a little tight, but full hook-ups and well maintained. Very close to marinas and Kemah Boardwalk.

Brett,

From our home in Weatherford it is 322 miles which is a little too far for us in one day. We will try and find a park near enough to Houston so we can time about a noon passage through Houston. We are not locked into Marina Bay and is expensive. Any suggestions. We looked at Galveston but didn't find much there and the wife thought the Kemah area and RV park looked interesting.

Just North of Houston is Conroe. Take the Hwy 105 Exit and go West aprox. 8 Miles. Lake Conroe KOA RV park. Nice Park Concrete drive and pads. Easy drive on into Houston around noon.

Herman

Rj- I agree with Brett- unless you come through Houston during high noon or evening hours- stay on I- 45. We have done it many times, as we live in Alvin. North of Houston in Spring is a very nice park called Rayford Crossing, a little expensive but well worth it. Carl Peterson

Guest Wayne77590

Sorry I have not been on this forum as much as I probably should.

There are many different ways to get around Houston, but you have to know the highway system. If you don't mind tolls, you can take the Beltway 8 Toll road around Houston. If you don't like big city traffic I don't think coming through Houston around Noon is a good idea. Remember, all the workers take lunch hours around that time. It is better to travel around 10-11 in the morning, or 2-3 in the afternoon.

If you just want to avoid it altogether, Hwy 36S, Hwy 36 Bypass, FM 1462E to Alvin, Hwy 517 to Dickinson. (or 518 to League City, or 528 to NASA Rd1 or Bay Area Blvd). We have traveled this route a few times but we prefer Beltway 8, or just a straight drive through on I-10 to I-45S depending on time of day.

As for campground, there are many in the area. The Kemah one is nice if you get the newer section (right hand side when you drive in. Two parks have been merged into one and the right hand drive in is a little nicer.

Dickinson, TX. - Bay Colony on FM-517W. Then Green Caye, Owens Drive (517E to Owens, close to FM 146 and maybe 5-8 minutes to Kemah.) Palms RV Park, Dickinson Ave, also known as FM 1266

There are many campgrounds in the area. Many many more than I have listed and then there is the State Park in Galveston, and other RV parks in the Galveston Area.

I always recommend Green Caye. The price is right also.