chichansen

Any Big Rig Campgrounds Near Newport, RI?

We are planning on taking our 43 footer to see the mansions in Newport, RI but I can't seem to find any campgrounds nearby that can handle a big rig. Anyone have a recommendation?

Don't know much about Rhode Island campgrounds but, Normandy Farms in Foxboro, Ma can handle big rigs. You would be about an hour from the Newport Mansions. Not sure how long you are planing on staying but, this is my neck of the woods and there are some great places to visit within a short distance of Normandy Farms. ( I live in the greater New Bedford Area ) From Battleship Cove in Fall River to the Whaling Mueseum in New Bedford , to too many places to mention in the greater Boston area. Depending on what your interests are I could offer some suggestions. Feel free to contact me. As far as Normandy farms goes, it's one of my favorite campgrounds. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Any questions feel free to ask.

http://normandyfarms.com/

Dan

Dan,

Thanks for your post. We have stayed at Normandy Farms several times and it is in our top 2 or 3 campgrounds in the nation. I didn't realize it was only an hour away from Newport! We plan on heading to Cape Cod after Newport so I was looking for something that was east or west of Newport but I think we will stop at Normandy on our way to Maine after leaving Cape Cod. Thanks again!

Robin

Very few CG's in RI that are big rig friendly, there once was a KOA in Middleton RI, I think it is a shopping center now. Normandy Farms, is probably the closest to Newport, I visited there a few weeks back and went to Newport for the day. The CG's in RI are very narrow with small sites very difficult with a Big Rig.

On Cape Cod there are two very good CG's Atlantic Oaks in Eastham, and Shady Knoll in Brewster. Be careful with Sweetwater Farms the roads are narrow and the sites tight.

The state Park is also ok on the cape.

I wouldn't rule out cape cod campresort. Just outside of Falmouth...about a 7 minute drive to Falmouth.

Falmouth itself is a great town...towns of eats and tons of treats! Also, some big box stores if you need anything from them. i.e. Walmart, Radio Shack, CVS/Walgreens, Stop N Shop (grocery store). The downtown area is about 12 to 15 blocks in length on both sides. Also, a nice common green space where depending on the time of year, local and not so local bands play music. Last summer, we just happen to hit when a bag pipe group that was playing.

With respect to the resort, three pools...one for adults only with hot tub 10 feet away. Pool number 2 is a family pool and third pool for kiddies. Small but sufficient playground ( if traveling with kids) as well as a decent store stocked with the must haves if you are in a pinch. John - the manager - is fantastic and full of info. He's your 411 go to guy for anything you need and is mostly on-site. Clean lake to swim or you can rent a paddle boat. With respect to best place to park your rig, we are partial to B69-B73. I think these sites are considered "premium", with the exception of B69. We mostly stay at B70...a back in site so that we we can keep an eye out on the kids while at the playground (your front windshield has a view of the huge green common area, the playground and the three pools).

There was a 45' Prevost that stayed right next to us for about a week. The owner of the Prevost was from Canada...his spot (B71) accommodated his big rig, with just enough room to accommodate his toad....he really used every inch of the site to park his rig and toad. Oh yea, all sites are paved....YEA!!! I hate gravel/dirt lots! Wifi, cable, 50 amp, great water pressure and clean water. I find the sites just a bit tight with minimal to no privacy...but liveable. Some sites are shaded, others are not.

Other sites that could accommodate your big rig would be just right off the office...very quite in this location. Your location is clutch for the office and bath house. Not much of a view, but a quite area. One other area is just west of the community club house...busier here. I would not let John or anyone else convince you to go someplace else. Tight squeeze. Also, there are tenters here at this campground, but they seem to be respectful. I just wouldn't park my rig next to them.

http://capecampresort.com/

good luck!

Rob

Glad to help. We stay at Normandy a 3-4 times a year. It's a great campground. Let me know if your in town. Who knows I might be there! ( This year April vacation, Memorial Day, Father's day, Labor Day ) haven't decided on fall camping yet. If you need ideas about what to do in my neck of the woods feel free to drop an e-mail or post. Have a great day!

Dan