So we bought the Fiat 500C manual transmission for a 4-down tow.The dealer said the car had to be in neutral with the key in MAR (run), and they had a printout to prove it. Not happy! The basic and extended US manuals said nothing about key; just neutral. Fiat Support first said the same think N+MAR. I researched the Euro manual, and it said Neutral and no key. After a week of research inside Fiat, Support verified Neutral only and Key OFF (can be removed!). Good news!

And they were willing to document it for future reference in writing.

What an easy tow. We have put about 500 miles on it in the past week, and it's a breeze.

Just FYI in case anyone runs into the same conflicting info.

Do you have a Braking System requiring 12volts DC ? I need the 12 volt outlet to power my Brake Buddy and the outlet is dead without the key turned to the appropriate position. I would have to wire in a seperate fused outlet directly to the battery. My question is what is the issue towing with the key turned on? I will be looking for your reply as this my first time towing. Thank You.

Usually, the reason for the key being in an Aux position is to unlock the steering wheel. Some car/truck steering wheels don't lock when the key is off. If the Fiat does not lock when the key is off you should be OK unless you need power for something else as mentioned above.

This is fantastic- exactly what I've been trying to find out. I also just bought a FIAT 500- I love it, it's manual trans., and I bought it specifically to tow.

I have been told that in order to tow it 4 on the floor, They have to make some permanent modification to the front end. Did you have to do that?

If so, then I'm looking buy a two wheel dolly

I'd really appreciate it if you let me know whether or not you had to modify your front end.

thanks in advance,

Gerard

Just remember that when the key is on for power to the Accessorie outlet you will be racking up miles on the Toad. I always recommend that auxilary power be run fom the coach to power the brake. This way you never have a dead battery and you will not be racking up miles.

Herman

Hello,

I left a message on the board but I thought I would try this.

I also have a FIAT 500 and I bought it specifically to tow. I have been told that the front end has to be permanently modified in order to get it ready to tow. Did you find this to be the case?

Thanks,

Gerard

So we bought the Fiat 500C manual transmission for a 4-down tow.The dealer said the car had to be in neutral with the key in MAR (run), and they had a printout to prove it. Not happy! The basic and extended US manuals said nothing about key; just neutral. Fiat Support first said the same think N+MAR. I researched the Euro manual, and it said Neutral and no key. After a week of research inside Fiat, Support verified Neutral only and Key OFF (can be removed!). Good news!
And they were willing to document it for future reference in writing.
What an easy tow. We have put about 500 miles on it in the past week, and it's a breeze.
Just FYI in case anyone runs into the same conflicting info.

Hello,

I left a message on the board but I thought I would try this.

I also have a FIAT 500 and I bought it specifically to tow. I have been told that the front end has to be permanently modified in order to get it ready to tow. Did you find this to be the case?

Thanks,

Gerard

As with any tow bracket attached to the front of a vehicle, there will be some modifications, which you could consider permanent, but not really noticeable other than the electrical receptacle. Recently talked to a a Fiat owner, who has had two different model Fiats. The POP model and the ABARTH model. Each one takes a different bracket due to the ABARTH is a turbo. He told me both tow beautifully without any modifications other than the bracket. They are standard shifts. (Fiat automatics cannot be flat towed.) Either one put in nuetral, leave ignition off remove key and go.

We have a 2013 Fiat 500C (Sport) manual and we tow it with out Tiffin Open Road 31SA. Tows great with the Ford V10... don't even feel it back there. Key does not need to be on.

We are having trouble finding a brake system that fit the 2013 Fiat brake pedal. A brake system is not required in Washington state for a car that small (through obviously very advised). While we're searching for a brake system that works we towed it to Spokane for an Easter visit with the granddaughter, thus our experience with how well it tows over mountain pass and all, but on interstate highway.

We've tried 3 brake systems, and none hook up to the way Fiat reconfigured the brake pedal in 2013. Last one we tried was Roadmaster Even-Flow. Other input here was correct, and we wired power from the coach and put a dedicated 12v plug for the brake system so we don't have to use the car battery (and thus not run up miles on the Fiat odometer. All we need now is a brake system that we can plug into that new 12v socket :(

How does that Brake Buddy system work? Any problem configuring it to the Fiat?

ReadyBrake from AdventureRV--comes in two versions : Integral to a tow bar, or (if you already have a tow bar) they have an add-0n to the receiver. Simple to use, good pricing.

An option to wiring a coach powered 12v plug for a braking system is to use an inexpensive "jump start" system. These usually have a 12v outlet and have plenty of capacity to power a brake buddy style system for a days tow, then can be charged overnight. I have used one of these (harbor freight) for up to 3 days without charging.

I tow a 2013 Fiat 500 POP. I just got the RVI2 system, it fits good as it comes with a clamp for the Fiat brake pedal much better and easier to use than the Brake buddy it replaced. I do have a question: I'm trying to mount a breakaway switch and can't find any room or area on the front of the car where it would fit. Anyone else have this issue? I'm using Roadmaster tow brackets and towbar. Thanks

I just installed a Blue Ox base plate on my Fiat 500 it has a place to install the plug in devise between the car and motorhome since I will not be using that I made a platform to attach to it and mounted the brake away switch on it.