ramblinboy

Looking For A Newer Rig

We like the 34 foot HR we have now but were looking to move up the years from our 1999.

Looking at a 2006 Safari Simba Allison. Any cautionary tales on the product? In see a recall on the trailing arms but not much else.

Ok not a lot of Safari or Simba owners want to admit they bought one ;-) How about a 2008 Fleetwood Terra 34' Workhorse/Allison. Any comments warnings etc?

I think if you ask more specific questions about rigs you may be interested in, there will be more responses. Too broad a question tends to be difficult to answer and if answered, often turn into a "my band is better" thread.

One of the issues with the Fleetwoods is its 30 Amp service. Any limitations there? They have more energy efficient AC perhaps - there are 2 ducted.

30 amp is a LOT less service than 50 amp. While they sound similar, a 30 amp coach allows for a maximum usage of 30 amps on all circuits combined. A coach with 50 amp service has 2 50 amp legs allowing for a maximum usage of 100 amps on all circuits combined. When you get out on a hot summer day and you were wishing you could run both (all) airs to stay cool you might regret making the 30 amp choice.

Thanks for the advice. It seems like it's about running both AC's while running the microwave with all the lights on. With 50A there's reserve.

On a hot day you'll want the 50 amp sevice for sure. I'm staying at a site with only 30 amps, but it's also only going to hit 80 degrees. If the temp was going to be in the 90-95 range I would want both ac's cranking. As far as getting your questions answered, perhaps going on a forum that is dedicated to that product line or at least has boards that are. I have a Tiffin and if I have any questions they get answered right away on the tiffinrvnetwork. I know IRV2 has sub-boards dedicated to various manufacturers. The FMCA board is great with questions of a general nature, but not as good with unit specific questions. Just a thought.

Dan

The Safari Simba is made by the same folks, now, that also own your HR brand. A whole bunch were sold early on and then the brand bought Beaver, and subsequently Monaco bought them, Monaco reorganized, and so on. When I was really active looking at coaches about 2 1/2 years ago Safari Simabas were maybe a notch below your current Holiday Rambler. As I remember some models had good chassis length and weight capacity and some did not. If it were me I would check with the RVCG to easily get a rating on the one you are interested in. And I guess if it were me I would stick with HR. We have several friends with HR's and they are quite good coaches. Some very close RV friends of ours just bought a Monaco Kinght 2005 40'. This is a close relative of HR and Safari. They bought an extremely nice rig at a good price. And that is my 2 cents worth.

Under the hood, I think alot of changes took place in 05 & 06. So I looked for 07 or newer? And yes 50 amp would be nice.

Update-bought an 08 Fleetwood Southwind 35A.

Meets and exceeds all expectations. Floor plan suits us to a "T" and the Allison Transmission is a bonus. The chassis AC is poor and the cruise control works occasionally otherwise lots of great features! Oh and its 50A!!