Sign in to follow this  
MONTIE

Hard to get level

I have a 2004 Expedition. It has manually operated jacks. I put the front jacks down to pick up the front about 2 to 3 inches, then the back for side to side, When the bubble gets in the center, the coach is still not level, and the doors still swing open. The bullit level reads that the coach is level.

Montie,

Welcome th the FMCA Forum.

What brand and model jacks do you have?

Is the leveling bubble on the jack control or is it a separately mounted bubble level?

Brett Wolfe

Montie,

Welcome th the FMCA Forum.

What brand and model jacks do you have?

Is the leveling bubble on the jack control or is it a separately mounted bubble level?

Brett Wolfe

Power Gear, I have the manuals and go through the suggested procedure but still have to adjust with the doors, I have not been able to make it level with the round level by the drivers seat

Montie,

The bubble level next to the drivers seat must be at odds with the doors and/or floor. My preference is for doors that swing neutral when level but that depends on the construction of the motor home. It is possible for the doors to be off vertical from the floor. This will result in a condition where the floor is level but the doors still swing. Use a good carpenters level and place it near the refrigerator on the floor. Level the coach using this level. Then mark the new "center" on your level by the drivers seat using a suitable marker. Or, you could realign the bubble level near the drivers seat if it can be adjusted by inserting layers of paper or other thin material (shims) under one side or the other until the bubble centers when the carpenters level shows level. Or you could carry a carpenters level and use it rather than the circular level.

Why the refrigerator you ask? Because the most critical item to be level is the refrigerator. It's operation is dependent on its being close to level. Still, if it is within a degree or two of level it will work fine. So if you want to level using the doors as an indicator, do so and you should be OK with the refrigerator. If you choose to use the doors, level until they hold steady in any position and then adjust the circular bubble level by adjusting it or remarking it.

In my case, I have two swinging doors, the door to the toilet and the shower door. I know we are off level if they swing strongly in one direction or the other. I'll tolerate a slight tendency to swing but not a strong swing in one direction or another. Mine are conveniently sensitive to left-right level (the shower door) and front/rear level, the toilet door. Both seem to be very close to vertical in relation to the floor.

Montie,

The bubble level next to the drivers seat must be at odds with the doors and/or floor. My preference is for doors that swing neutral when level but that depends on the construction of the motor home. It is possible for the doors to be off vertical from the floor. This will result in a condition where the floor is level but the doors still swing. Use a good carpenters level and place it near the refrigerator on the floor. Level the coach using this level. Then mark the new "center" on your level by the drivers seat using a suitable marker. Or, you could realign the bubble level near the drivers seat if it can be adjusted by inserting layers of paper or other thin material (shims) under one side or the other until the bubble centers when the carpenters level shows level. Or you could carry a carpenters level and use it rather than the circular level.

Why the refrigerator you ask? Because the most critical item to be level is the refrigerator. It's operation is dependent on its being close to level. Still, if it is within a degree or two of level it will work fine. So if you want to level using the doors as an indicator, do so and you should be OK with the refrigerator. If you choose to use the doors, level until they hold steady in any position and then adjust the circular bubble level by adjusting it or remarking it.

In my case, I have two swinging doors, the door to the toilet and the shower door. I know we are off level if they swing strongly in one direction or the other. I'll tolerate a slight tendency to swing but not a strong swing in one direction or another. Mine are conveniently sensitive to left-right level (the shower door) and front/rear level, the toilet door. Both seem to be very close to vertical in relation to the floor.

Thanks for the information, I thought about the carpenters level and will try that.