Itasca36M

Mirror Vibration

Hi. I just bought my first motorhome a few months ago and have only driven it about a thousand miles yet. I have noticed that the rear view mirrors vibrate quite a bit, but I figured that was normal because they are cantilevered. I was riding a bus the other day and noticed that his mirrors of a similar design were rock steady. Is vibration normal, does any/everyone else have a similar condition, and is there a way to fix it? Thanks.

Itasca36M

Welcome to the Forum. What you may have is a balance problem with your rear wheels. If you have a shake or bounce in the steering wheel it will be, most of the time, front wheel shimmy. If you feel it in the seat is will be, most of the time, in the rear wheels. Check all of your wheels for cupping which is another indication of wheels that need to be balanced.

Herman

As Herman said, make sure you don't have a tire out of round or balance problem.

Also make sure the bolts/screws fastening the mirrors to the coach are tight.

You can also get a wind buffet vibration if the mirrors are adjusted too far out of the housing. If that is the issue you will need to adjust the housing so that the mirrors can be adjusted so the edge is inside the housing.

Herman and Brett,

Thanks for the input. The coach has only 2800 miles on it and it doesn't seen to exhibit any of the other signs of a wheel balance problem. I'm not discounting the solution, however, and I'll pay close attention next time I drive it next weekend). In the meantime, I am definitely going to make some adjustments as Clay suggests because I know for a fact the mirrors are adjusted to the max. I had to adjust the driver's side housing the day I picked it just to get the mirror so I could see. For the life of me, I don't know how the delivery driver could see.

I've got a lot to learn, and I'm looking forward to participating here.

Again, Thanks.

Thom

My upper mirror the convex one started to vibrate on my last trip. I could wiggle the mirror a little and could not move the other side mirror. Adjust the power mirror to one side all the way then look into the mirror with a flashlight. One of the plastic tabs that hold the mirror to the base was broken. I mixed some epoxy and with a long metal hook put the epoxy on the parts and now there is no vibration.

Don

Thom !

Think its time to visit the person that sold the coach to you. Could you mention the Model and Year of the coach?

Although, you did not say if you purchased from a dealer or individual. You should have a person from the dealership or the seller go over operation and setup of the equipment on the coach.

With only 2800 miles on it and if indeed the mirrors are damaged, one would think that it would be covered under a warranty.

A dealer should have a person that explains how things work and to go over the information that you need to read an what manuals cover the different equipment and systems on the coach.

Rich.

I had the same issue, and I hated it!!! It got worse and worse, until the glass actually fell out, which was a little distressing. Fortunately, the wire for the heating element stopped it from crashing to the ground.

My mirrors are Velvac, and the glass is remote controlled within the housing, so only the glass moves. The glass is held in place by a several tabs on a plastic frame. the tabs break, and the mirror shakes. I ordered a new glass from Velvav (they were great to deal with) and it came with the plastic frame and was easy to install.

JT

I also had a similar problem with vibration, turns out mine were held in place with double back sticky. Could have had tabs but the double back sticky has done the job for 4,000 miles now.

We had the problem that the mirror was mounted to the side walls and actually started to crack the side wall; therefore, the whole mirror and mounting vibrated. I had stainless steel plates cut (one for the outside and one for the inside) for each mirror. You could used aluminum DuraPlate which would be easier to cut and drill. The plates were about 10 inches high and 12 inches wide. Drilled the corners for mounting and cut a large hole for the remote wiring through the outside plate. Also, drilled 4 holes to mount the mirror and drilled all the way through from the outside plate through to the inside plate. I used carriage bolts through the mirror mount through the outside plate, side wall, and inside plate with nylock nuts on the inside. Before mounting the plates, I used a high quality caulk behind the plates around the edges and where any bolts passed through to seal. Stainless steel screws were used in the corners to mount the plates both inside and outside. The mirrors are now rock solid and have been for over 80,000 miles. The only caution I can recommend is to be sure that you can drill all the way through without hitting something that could be damaged.