Sign in to follow this  
danhester

RVI Braking System

Has anyone had any experience with the RVi braking system?

Trying to decide which braking system to go with. Towing a 2011 Jeep Wrangler.

Thanks for any input.

I have one and I like it its light and easy to set up good no problems so far only have towed 200 mi but leaving tomorrow on a cross country trip so it will get a good workout

We have the RVI and use it to tow a Jeep Liberty. It is very easy to hook-up and works as well. I like the adjustable monitor in our coach. We are very pleased with the system.

I've had a RVI brake for almost a year, towing a 2006 Hummer H3 w/2011 Itasca Meridian 40'. Had small problem at first but customer service is the BEST. I've put about 8,000 miles on it. The monitor plug sucks but I attached a suction cup and is mounted where I want it. Very easy to set up and remove. I would buy another one .

Dennis Strong

Had one for a couple of years. Pre ordered when they first came out. Love it. Used it with our previous 32ft Tiffin Allegro gas Workhorse and our current 36ft Tiffin Pheaton Freightliner diesel pusher. We tow a Ford Escape. The RViBrake is not just a "better mousetrap" like the others. They wrote a design specification based on feature and performance requirements and user requirements, then designed the system from the ground up to meet it. It's very compact but powerful. About the size of a small brief case - only a couple of inches thick - with a built in handle!! So it's lightweight and easy to handle and store. Everything stows neatly when not in use. Very easy to use. Self adjusting. You put it on the floor, plug it in, clip the push rod to the brake pedal and press the start button. It adjusts and moves itself into the correct postion automatically (kinda fun to watch). Does not press back on your car seat, uses the seat anchor frame or a (free) adapter bar for your model. So it does not rely on weight to hold it in position. The actuator cylinder and push rod press it down and back against something solid. Fully proportional vacuum operated (much more reliable and fail safe than compressed air). So it's actually a vacuum pump not an air compressor. Has an accelerometer to measure deceleration and continuously adjust braking force. Nice plug-in wireless repeater panel for the coach with full control and test buttons if you want to use them. Also has a bar graph that shows you the amount of braking it's applying in real time. Adjustments for the car size, weight ,etc are a snap and retained in non volatile memory until manually changed. I believe it does some learning to customize after the initial setting which needs only 2 selections from 6 buttons. (Light/medium/heavy force and compact/midsize-small SUV/Large truck-SUV.) Very well designed and built. Very durable. Great product and excellent design work. They also have optional remote dipole antennas (on an extension cable) if you have any issues with wireless transmission, Just replace the stalk antenna and hang the little dipole over the car rear view mirror (it's only about 3 inches across). I think they also do repeater/boosters too. They sent us a free dipole when we moved up from the Allegro to the Phaeton because the big diesel in the back would occasionally block the wireless signal. BUT it does not require the wireless panel in the coach to be working. In fact you don't actually have to plug it in. The system in the toad is fully operational and self contained without it.

I noticed the new version has an option for tire pressure monitoring built in. Smart idea, but this option is no cheaper than an independent system, but uses the same wireless panel display in the coach. So it's automatically monitoring the car when in use and you don't have to switch your coach system to a different setting when the car is disconnected. Nice, though I think the option is a bit spendy since it's just some software and 4 tire valve wireless sensor units. No other additional hardware required. I would bet the electronics and software are in all of them and you are basically paying for it to be activated, plus the tire sensors. That's not a criticizm - it's the most cost effective and smart way to do it. I just personally feel they are charging way too much for the option. They have a unique opportunity to set a new price point in tire monitoring and sell a lot more of them - including the brake system. Tire monitoring systems are becoming more commonplace technology. Some of the newest and lowest priced systems have the most and best features. This is an optional addition to the brake system and only monitors the toad tires (so far - give 'em a few months is my guess).

I compared all the portable brake systems. I talked to the designers and was very impressed (I'm an engineer what can I say?). I pre ordered, so we have one of the very first production units. We are very pleased with it. No bugs or problems with the equipment. Their customer support has been amazingly good.

Hope this helps.

John.

Anyone going to the NW area rally in Albany, OR, August 7 -11, we will be there.

Just used my RVi Brake 2 system and couldn't be happier. Did a lot of research and decided it was bet for me. There are many systems available ans each has different features one positive some negative but for a remote system this one seems to be be best.

I echo the comments about the excellent customer service.

Good luck

I bought the RVIBrake to replace my crippled Brake Buddy. I tow a 2011 Chevy Malibu so I had to use the custom stop plate that came with the system. I had a lot of trouble installing it and contacted RVIBrake for help. Sam at RVIBrake worked with me and he absolutely went the extra mile to help. I am very pleased with the end result and just can't say enough good things about their customer service. The system is so much easier to use than the Brake Buddy. Just plop it in place connect it to the brake pedal, plug in the electric and push the button. Self adjusting and practically worry-free; Light weight and easy to handle.