bairman

Towing Ford Taurus or Edge

We have gone through 4 transmissions on our 2011 Fusion, the last one this week after Ford installed a Remco Pump. We are in discussion now with Ford on a buy back, and if we move into another Ford product, they said it could be a lot easier. We will consider a Taurus or Edge and we want to know if anybody has any experience with either of these cars. :wacko:

We have been flat towing a 2008 Lincoln MKX without a problem for the last 5 months. The MKX is essentially the same as the Edge. I just put the transmission in neutral and turn off the ignition key as far as it can go. If the Edge doesn't work for you, take a look at the MKX.

We just bought a 2013 Lincoln MKS and plan to flat tow it for the first time tomorrow. Hope we have the same luck you are having. Do you shift through the gears before putting it in netural? What about battery discharge? We have hear this can be a problem.

If you can let me know how it goes. I don't know if the Lincoln and Taurus require lowering the transmission fluid like the Fusion.

In towing our 2008 Lincoln MKX I put the trans on neutral without going through the rest of the gears or changing the trans fluid levels. I do let the engine run for 5 minutes or so before beginning our trip each day. The only other requirement is to not exceed 65 miles per hour. We have not had any problems with drain on the battery, but I start the engine at every fuel stop.

WE WERE GOING TO BUY A FORD ESCAPE TO FLAT TOW, HOWEVER, WE FOUND A SUPPLEMENT TO THE OPERATORS MANUAL DATED FEB. 2012 THAT STATED NOT TO FLAT TOW.

WE NOW ARE PLANNING TO PURCHASE A FORD EDGE WHICH I BELIEVE CAN BE FLAT TOWED.

We just bought a Ford Focus. The manual clearly says it is flat towable as long as you disconnect the negative battery cable + a simple procedure when connecting. We have not towed it yet, in fact we have not got the tow bar, etc installed yet. I understand a Focus might be too small of a car for your needs. As far as the Escape goes, do pay attention to what the manual says about transmission levels.

We just bought a 2013 Edge for exactly the same and all the reasons previously mentioned and traded in our 2010 Escape. Be aware that Ford took the 2.0 engine off the 4 down towing list but still says it can still be towed flat with the 3.5 six in fwd or awd. Hope we didn t screw up. Any bad stuff on the Edge?

Will you have made me feel better. I paid for my own pump and the cost to install. I am talking with Ford but it is rough going. Any help?? :(

I got all of my money back from pump mfg! I am happy, but not with Ford. They will not have a conversation with me! I am having # 4 put in this week. I will not buy a Ford again.

I have a 2011 Ford Edge and it tows great. No need to run through gears or anything else. Just put it in neutral and turn off the key all the way to the left. The only problem I had occasionally was after a long tow, the battery would sometimes run down - probably because not all of the dash lights turn off even with the key turned all the way to the left. I took care of this by installing a Toad Charge which solves the problem.

One more thing about the Edge. Some models have a black control box behind the plastic grill, mounted down low. This is for either the adaptive cruise or BLIS system. That black box can interfere with some baseplates. I don't have it because I purposely ordered an Edge without adaptive cruise or BLIS. My Demco baseplate and Readybrute tow bar work fine. Just check with the baseplate manufacturers websites to be sure before you buy. Here is a Demco link http://www.demco-products.com/baseplates/fitlist.html?start=100

The longer and farther I tow my 2000 Ford Explorer, the happier I am. Bought it used 10 ten years ago, had the Neutral Tow Kit installed as part of the initial deal. Now with almost 130k showing on the clock, and an "estimated" 30/40k behind the motorhome.

Just this last weekend, we purchased a 2013 Edge SEL, FWD, 3.5L V-6. My dealer's service manager, whom I have known for 20 years, provided us with the latest dinghy towing data from Ford. We traded our 2009 Escape FWD Hybrid, that we've towed with a dolly system. We're looking forward to easier "four wheels down towing" with the Edge.The towing procedures are simple to follow.

I have been in contact with other Edge owners at various rallies and they have not had any problems with their Edges.

We just purchased a 2013 Ford Edge with the push button start. We are going to tow four wheels down. The book says to have it in Neutral and ignition in accessories mode (salesman says way to do this is not to put foot on brake and push the start button).

We towed short distance so far from camper dealer that installed towing equipment with no problems but this put miles on the Edge. Is there a way so when towing that it doesn't put miles on the odometer of the Edge?

We just purchased a 2013 Edge and want to set it up for 4 down towing. The manual says to turn key to accessory position but the 2013 is key-less. After putting transmission into neutral what else needs to be done? Help.

I have the 2013 Lincoln MKX. It is supposed to be 99% identical to the Edge. I have the keyless entry/start also.

I towed it for the very first time Thursday the 10/3/2013.

Book says, start for 5 minutes before towing.

Run selector shift to R, then to D, then to N

Place key in accessory position. This can be the confusing thing. You have to have the ignition on to be able to take it out of park. So, after runing through the transmission sequence and it is in N, push the start/stop button until it is off, then push one time to place in accessory position. Also somewhere in the manual I read that after 10 minutes in accessory position the system will shut off.

I had not problem starting the car after 240 miles of towing. However, we pulled into our site and I leveled, extended slides, hooked up elect so DW could start on the inside then went to the car to disconnect. First I got in the car and started it, then I went from neutral to park and exited to disconnect. One tow bar arm came loose real easy and the other had to much tension. I went back to the car to put it in neutral and push on the front to disconnect BUT the lever would not come out of park. Nothing I did would make it come out of park. To make this short, and after many calls to Ford dealer and Ford Roadside Assistance they sent a tow truck. I had time to read the manual and one thing caught my eye on fuses. Fuse #59 was the brake on/off fuse. Hmmm! When the tow truck arrived and after some conversation we pulled #59 and it was a 10 amp and it was blown. I had a spare, plugged it in, and everything worked fine with the shift coming out of park.

I have a theory. I believe that brake lights work even with the system off. The lighting system that was used when the baseplate was installed was the "diode" kit. So now when hooked up and the brake pedal in the TOAD is activated, not only the braking system lights come on, but the power through the umbilical cord is also applied. We were in some small town heavy stop and go traffic and I think the current through both system was to much. My theory.

Anyone?