RelationshipDoc

Cross The Tapan Zee Bridge?

Question

We are planning a trip from Alabama to Nova Scotia in just a couple of weeks. I have read this forum and found a lot of helpful information, but there is one bit I have not found. All of my routing programs (including 1 that knows I am a "truck") want to send me I-78 to I-87 to I-287 across the Tapan Zee Bridge to join I-95 and then turn north. The rest of the route I am pretty clear about. I know for sure I don't want to try the George Washington Bridge; been there before and way too much traffic for my taste. What would this part of the route be like on a Monday (not rush hour)? I could go about 100 miles out of my way and stay out of the city totally; I did that before when I went to Boston before. The alternative route was very hilly, to say the least, so I am not sure if the speed I would lose going up hills would be better or worse than the speed I might lose in traffic.

I have a 38 foot diesel motorhome (Alfa SeeYa), 12' 6" high, and I will be towing my Saturn. I have a Garmin 465T GPS in my motorhome.

I will appreciate any routing suggestions.

Wayne

5 answers to this question

I crossed the Tappan Zee in my Alfa towing in 2008 and if memory serves me correct the traffic wasn't too bad. No major slow downs. It beats the heck out of the GW bridge. I don't know if it has changed in recent years, but shouldn't be a problem. I-95 north of New York was kind of rough when we went through. Have fun.

Marvin

We crossed the Tappan Zee last fall, traffic was heavy, but not as heavy as the TOLL. The collector wanted to know if I wanted a receipt, "Yes, my wife won't believe I paid that much without one" but at least he was a civil ;) civil servant.

Don't know if you've left yet on your trip...

We cross the Tappan Zee a couple of times a year in a 36' towing a car. I'm not a big fan of driving on bridges, but this one doesn't bother me at all. Traffic might be heavy depending on time of day, but it's not outrageous. (As noted, the toll is. It's $24.75.)

The worst part of that route is that I-287 is now in about the 11th year of a construction project. Also, when you cross the bridge, you need to be in the LEFT 3 lanes two or three miles down the road, as 287 and 87 split.

And when you come to I-95 in Connecticut, good luck. It's a nasty highway, not even close to being able to handle all the traffic on it. It once took us 4 hours to travel the 120 miles of Conn I-95, by car, no less. You might want to consider I-84 to I-90 to I-495 to I-95 at MA/NH border.

A bit late to respond to the post but we crossed the Tapp n Zee on Saturday, 5/26/12 enroute to Boston area, driving a 45' Travel Supreme pulling a Ford Escape. Ouch, the toll was $32.00. Traffic was not a problem going North, however, the South bound side was backed up for about 7 miles due to construction on their side (information from NY friend living in NH). The condition of the road was poor in my judgement, given a choice again we'd take a detour around to avoid the conditions. The road conditions with some exceptions didn't improve until we reached MA.

Hi Guys

Have you left yet? if not email me and i will give you a route that goes around the big towns. We crossed the border at Calis and went thru New Brunswick, and all thru Nova Scotia. We have friends at Lunenburg,NS. The route takes you around New York city and all of the traffic.

I would stay clear of I-95

Let me know if you need this route,

Billy Pruitt

F248788

bfpruitt@yahoo.com