redbird

Carry Out vs Roof Mounted?

We recently bought a new Monaco Vesta and are looking for the best way to watch satellite TV. The carry out systems look tempting.... they're less expensive. The roof mounted look like less work at hook-up. Any suggestions?

That is only partially correct. A dome cannot receive the DirecTV HD programming but the domes are fully capable of receiving all of the Dish programming including HD.

I have to agree with RVer on the move. Many domes can receive HD from Dish; however, they must move from one satellite to the other, so there is some lag when changing channels.

Carryout are nice and so are the roof mounted domes. BUT, if you are parked under trees where the signal to the rooftop dome is obstructed then the carryout might be better. I say "might" because you might have to put the carryout a ways from your RV. Carryout sometimes translates to carryoff if you have some idiots in the vicinity.

Thanks! Do you have a dome or something like the Trav'ler?

We have a Kingdome and a Trav'ler. The coach came with the Dome, we added the Trav'ler later. I have only had 1 instance in the last year when I couldn't get a signal on the Trav'ler. We only use the dome when winds are so high that I fear for the dish. (Like 50 mph winds at the KOA in Albuquerque).

I have both. Bought the carry-out before we got our current coach, which has an installed dome. There are a few times when I could not use the dome because of trees, so I used the carry-out. For ease of operation, the installed dome is much easier to use.

GM