We are about to become full timers but we have an Internet issue. My Wife is not yet retired and wuld like to continue working remotely. The problem is she has to have a hard wired DSL connection. She is not allowed to use Wireless or Satalite. Are there Campgrounds that would have the capabilty to have wired Internet at the site? We are looking to be down South for Winters and Maine for the Summer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Bill & Barb

Not a real answer to your question, but something you could check out. If you are going to be at one park for several months at a time, you might be able to have a land line installed by the local phone company. I would start by asking the campground if they know if this is possible. Just a thought, but worth looking into. If the phone was used exclusively for the business computer, the monthly fee and install costs would (I think) be deductable as a business expense.

Here's a real answer to your question.

NO.

There is a very slim chance that if you are not really going to be traveling but rather just moving to a Winter and Summer location you could search out that one special place where you could sign up for 3-6 months of service through the local phone or cable company. If you plan to travel on a regular basis you will not be able to make these kinds of connections.

It is our intent to be stationary 6 months south and 6 months north. Just wasn't sure if CG's would allow connectivity via Cable ie.

Check out an Air Card, it is not WiFi and is much faster than DSL. You can also check out a cellphone that doubles as a high-speed modem. I have Sprint service with an HTC Pro 2 phone. It can be used as a "Hotspot" for WiFi or as a "tethered" connection by USB cable. For the money, ($30.00 / month for unlimited data & texting). We find this to be the best of both worlds.

You will need to do some research, but based upon your requirements, there are some campgrounds that do have temporary cable hookups avaialble for their long term guests. It might be cable or DSL but it certainly is available but you will not find this to be a wide-spread option.

I have done this at two separate work camping locations.

1- Find a CG that already has DSL and will have a phone line at one of their camp sites. It isn't a normal amenity for many CGs so your choices of places to stay will be limited.

2- Call the servicing phone company and find out if you can do only a six month program. You will also need to set up a separate account/billing for yourself. Perhaps credit card payments. Keep the CG in the loop so that they understand that they aren't going to be charged.

3- You will either have to buy or lease a modem from the phone company.

4- If you are going to do this regularly it might be handy to have a flow-thru connection installed on your RV which will make it easy to connect CAT2 cable instead of running it thru a window opening.

5- Be prepared for sticker shock on the first bill. There is always more upfront costs for establishing new services for most everything.

Good Luck.

Hello Bill and Barb

I just got a job working from home but in the process of buying an rv. I'm in the same boat and need desperate help on how to have hard wired Internet access. Please let me know if you figured out a way to do it. I need a solution fast !!

Thank you

We are about to become full timers but we have an Internet issue. My Wife is not yet retired and wuld like to continue working remotely. The problem is she has to have a hard wired DSL connection. She is not allowed to use Wireless or Satalite.

Bill & Barb (and Tex2oma):

The requirement for a "hard-wired DSL" connection is a bit confusing. DSL is a service provided by the local telephone company, to permit slower-speed data transmissions over their existing copper wire system from their closest Central Office (exchange) to the service location.

As such, there is a severe distance restriction on how far away the service location is from the C.O. Since many campgrounds have to be distant from towns in order to find the available sized plots of land, they often are too far for a DSL run.

However, some CGs do have TV cable available, and the cable carriers often can provide a reliable, fairly trustworthy Internet data service.

If DW's employer is concerned about security of her remote data transmissions (e.g., HIPAA compliance for medical transcription or ICD-10 coding), regardless of the type of connection used -- DSL, Cable data, Satellite, or Wi-Fi -- they should be providing a Virtual Private Network (VPN) service that she can use within the data connection. A VPN provides a secured, encrypted end-to-end linkage to her employer's network, no matter where she is located in the entire world, no matter what type of Internet service connection.

If they're using remote access from telecommuting employees, then a VPN is the answer. If they continue to insist on a "hard-wired DSL connection" -- AND expect their employees to pay for it themselves, find a new employer; their IT security department is 20 years behind the times!

If you want to create your own VPN to connect to anyone, Google "public VPN services".

Good luck!

Many of the parks in Yuma, AZ have provisions for you to get a hard wired Internet and telephone connection thru the cable supplier for the camp. This is probably true for many campgrounds that have cable connections to their sites.

In 2008 I retired from a very large telephone company in middle Georgia. We gladly provided DSL service for every campground in our service area. Even in the resort we are in now you can easily get DSL. I don't think it will be a problem getting it in most areas in the south. ccmsm

Tex2ome

Lots of motorhomes and RV are already wired with telephone wiring with a few outlets. I have three connection in mine, one up front another at the dinette and third at rear desk. Since you are shopping for an RV that will be another item to look for.