bigred1cav

Generator Running But Not Genning Electricity

My Onan Marquis 5000, gas engine runs but is not producing electricity.

Please offer a simple remedy as I do not want to nor have the money to pay $2000 to Cummins for service.

It is in a Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 35'. 2000 model year on a Ford F53 V 10.

Have you turned off and back on the two on-generator breakers?

Have you checked for power at the ATS (if safe working around 120 VAC)-- if the ATS has failed, the generator power would not get to the breaker panel.

There are often several breakers. On the genset and remote to the genset as well. That's where you start and if you are comfortable working with A/C voltage and a voltage meter you can start at the genset and work your way through the system until you find where the power stops. If you have no indication of power at the genset itself you will likely need to have a service call from a professional.

My Onan Marquis 5000, gas engine runs but is not producing electricity.

Please offer a simple remedy as I do not want to nor have the money to pay $2000 to Cummins for service.

It is in a Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 35'. 2000 model year on a Ford F53 V 10.

The genny looks to see if it is producing voltage and if not will shut down. Since it is running I suspect one of the two suggestions above - the automatic transfer switch or an open breaker is the answer

We just went through the same problem. It was the ATS & had to have it replaced. Local Cummins dealer did all the work-total cost $600.00 & no RV for a week.

Hope it's something else.

Good luck.

Thanks for the come back.

Slip rings needing cleaning is a common issue with a generator that is not exercised enough.

Said another way, slip ring issues are VERY rare if the generator is run once a month for at least 45 minutes with at least 50% load.

Brett