Sign in to follow this  
ronandsue74

Diesel Oil Recommendations

I'll soon be changing the oil in my Cat C-9 engine.

Last year, the first time I changed the oil, I used the Cat labeled oil (not sure who makes it).

My oil pressure seems to run a little low. Fully warmed up about 20 psi at idle and about 34 psi at 1,650 crusing rpm.

Is there a documented oil that will increase my oil pressure a little?

Thanks in advance for your advise;

RJ

2005 Inspire

Viscosity is the primary determiner of PSI at idle. What viscosity are you using. For most ambient temperatures, 15-40 is the correct oil.

The numbers you give for pressure don't seem all that low. If you are really concerned, call CAT tech and ask them what you should be running.

I was just wondering how accurate those oil pressure gauges are. Smokeater75

Very inaccurate. When in doubt, tap on the guage...that's what we do in the aviation community.

Amsoil 15W-40 synthetic. Do some research and look at test results. It is all I've used in my PowerStroke and boat motors. It is a PITA to get due to multi level marketing but I do believe it is the best based on tests. Yes, I realize the tests are published by Amsoil BUT they are independent tests and I have yet to see any other manufacturer publish any tests that show different plus over the past several years you've seen other manufacturers begin marketing "extended drain" oils which Amsoil did years before.