Sign in to follow this  
DIRKPASTOOR

A 'Smokin' Cat 3126B

When we came back from our winter trip south, we noticed a white vapor emitting from the crankcase ventilation tube, We took it to our mechanic who has maintained it for the last 6 years, and he eliminated having water in the engine. However, he suspected blowby because the vapor is under pressure and advised us to take it to a truck center who could do the correct testing. This was done and the following results came back:

-there were no computer codes

-they performed a cylinder cutout test;all equal(no clear indicator of compression loss)

-removed oil pan to check for cylinder damage; could not see damage

Because there were no computer codes, nor visible damage, it was felt that they were on an fishing expedition and it would be better to put it back together again and wait to see what developed instead of throwing money at what.

The engine is a Cat with 135000 miles in a 2000 model year class A MH.

Anybody have any ideas? The mechanic suggested to trade it off or drive it till it is busted. Of course, now my wife has visions of getting stuck out in the boondocks with no cell coverage.

Dirk Pastoor

@VE6APP@theeastshore.com

Dirk,

Did you take it to an authorized Caterpillar dealer or just a "truck center"?

With any engine issue, I would consult a dealer who works exclusively on your brand of engine.

I would check with another Authorized Cat service center. I have heard about needing to update the programming on a Cat engine to clear up a similar white smoke problem. This was on the Discovery motor home site under Cat engines forum.