Sign in to follow this  
bassbass63

Rear Slide Pin Keeps Breaking

I have a 2000 Fleetwood Bounder that keeps shearing the pin on the bedroom slide. The Slide is only 4' long and when the motor is disengaged I can easily push it in and pull it out. What can be wrong, I have had at least 4 pins shear in the past year.

Thank You

I have the same problem on my 2003 Coachmen.

I worked in a tool & die shop before I retired and I got some 3/16 diameter drill rod and made up about 50 pins. I carry them with me along with a small diameter punch so when one shears, all I do is knock out the broken one with a small ball peen hammer and tap in a new one. Takes about ten minutes to fix. If you know of a small shop, I am sure they can fix you right up with some pins.

There may be something binding that is not apparent with push and pull. If you can disengage the motor and use a wrench or crank to turn the shaft where the motor attaches, it may lead you to the problem.

Does it always shear at the same position and travel direction or is it totally random?

BH

I replied to you a couple of days ago, I am the one with the 2003 Coachmen. Right now I can't get you the manufacturer of my slide because it is up north and I will not be there until this weekend. But when I first started having this problem, I called them and they told me it was not a big deal. Since then they had a design change and replaced a rolled steel pin with a split pin. I tried that and didn't have any luck. The best luck I had is with the 3/16 dia. steel pins I made myself. Haven't broken one in over a year. Don't use a dowel pin, they are hardened and may cause damage before they break.

If you have any questions, please e-mail me at blkoboldt@yahoo.com.