Sign in to follow this  
vagabond1

No Power To Coach From Batteries

<_< Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help me. When I turn on the disconnect switch for my house batteries, nothing happens at all-- no power. If i hold the button on everything works fine. Could this be a faulty switch?

I do hear a click when i turn it on. Does this mean the solenoid is working? It also has a switch for the starting batteries which works fine.

Used it last fall and had no problems. Batteries are charged and connections look clean, also no blown fuses.

Welcome.

There are different configurations of control switch(s) and solenoid(s). If you post year, make and model someone may know the configuration and where to look for components. If the control switch is momentary, my wild guess would be it has a solenoid that is not staying closed which may be due to the solenoid or possibly the control switch or an unkown factor.

BH

Thank you for the advice. Iit is a 1994 Fleetwood Flair diesel pusher. It has the double disconnect for the house batteries and starting batteries.

Checked my batteries again and they show 12.4 on my meter which should be fine but the switch will not stay on.

Thanks.

Not familiar with the coach. If it is like mine, a momentary switch activates a relay/disconnect. The relay has some moving parts that make the connection and other moving parts that hold the connection closed until the control switch applies power to the other side to open the disconnect.

If the control switch/button is a momentary switch then it is likely activating a relay type battery disconnect as described loosely above. If this is the case and holding the control switch in the on position keeps the relay closed then it would seem to point to the relay being faulty. The relay is closing, but the gizmo that holds it closed without power from the control switch has left the game. If this is the case, holding the button for a moment and tapping the relay carefully (with a non-conductive tapper) may unstick the gizmo. If that works, you probably still need to replace the relay.

I suspect most work this way, but I do not know for sure. If not as described, I would locate the relay/disconnect mfg & part # and look for a description online as to how it functions to determine best troubleshooting steps.

BH