wolfe10

Best Way To See Alaska

Question

Over the years, there have been many discussions about traveling to Alaska. So, a little background: Dianne and I were married and lived in Juneau, AK in the mid 1970’s and have driven the Alcan Highway three times. We just got back yesterday from our eighth cruise to Alaska—on the Holland America Zaandam.

So, what is my favorite way to see the wonders of Alaska? By water! Yes, the Alcan is interesting and a reasonable choice if you have the time to spend the summer exploring Alaska.

But, for scenery and wildlife viewing, a cruise is the way to see Alaska. And, this last cruise on the Zaandam was one of the best, with a Captain who actually went right up to glaciers instead of doing a “drive by.” We also enjoy a “medium size” ship vs those huge floating cities.

I’ll post some photos to show what makes the Alaska cruise our favorite — all these taken this week from the ship or a shore excursion.

Brett

ZaandaminSkagway640x427.jpg

HumpbackWhale640x444.jpg

MarjorieGlacierGlacierBay640x427.jpg

BearsjustoutofSkagway640x427.jpg

18 answers to this question

Brett, cannot argue with your thoughts and observations. We have been there with the entire family for the summer.

However, we did use the Marine Highway system to take the Coach up and this allowed for the wonderful adventure offer by the sea route and with the coach we could travel the interior at a pace totally controlled by us. Taking the Caseare Hy. from Whitehorse down through BC, still have a section of the Alcan to drive !!

We really,really want to go back !! The kids all are saying, when you go, please give us a heads up because we want to return. So much for leaving them at home for the next one.

Rich.

Brett, I could not agree more!! Frances and I took the Alaska Cruise out of Seattle. The inside passage route. What a trip. Like you say, beautiful scenery, wildlife in abundance. Plenty of photo ops. Hope to go back one day and take a different route. Spent a week in Anchorage once on convention. Made several day trips from there.

We did Alaska for the first time in 2001. Drove to Vancouver, checked into a campground and was shuttled to the cruise dock for a 7 day cruise. Spent a month going through Canada Yukon and Alaska. Went on the Alcan the whole way. One needs to both cruise and drive to see Alaska. Cruised 3 more times on the last cruise of the season and stay on board in Vancouver and sail to Hawaii. Stay there for a month then fly home.

A couple more photos from the cruise:

1. Leaving Juneau

2. Skagway looking toward the pass the gold miners climbed as viewed from our cabin window.

3. Sea Otters

4. Whale sounding.

LeavingJuneau10PM640x427.jpg

Skagway640x480.jpg

TwoSeaOtters509x413.jpg

HumpbackWhale2640x427.jpg

Brett,

Those are great photos. Especially of the whale breaches. Thanks. We are planning a cruise next year about this time. We have decided to forego taking the motorhome due to uncertain road conditions and the fact I don't want to get it banged up.

Don

Brett,

We cruised the inside passage to Glacier Bay last summer on the Oosterdam (sister ship to the Zaandam), had a wonderful adventure and plan to go again.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. They brought back great memories.

Tim

The last time we cruised to Alaska I was very disillusioned by the (tourist traps) we found.

It seemed that all of the tour sites were staged by uninterested locals, and after they did their dance in the street they got on a school bus and left.

Most of the trinket shops were in warehouses that looked more like swap meets (Temporary) and the people that ran them looked and spoke Japanese or some other language, if you turned some of the gifts over they had tags "Made in China".

We saw eagles flying across the bay and landing in trees, which was wonderful until later when we meet a local and he said the shop owners baited their roofs with meat and hung some in the trees.

I could have stayed in Seattle and seen the same thing.

I'm not downgrading Alaska, we've been there three times and love it-We have 9 grandchildren and a total of 17 great grandchildren in and around Alaska.

No matter where you visit there are going to be tourist traps. The neat thing about going on the last Alaska cruise of the season is that the shop keepers discount their stuff heavily. I bought five fifty five dollar jackets for five dollars each. If you go to china, some of the stuff isn't even made there. It's made in Thailand or Malaysia or somewhere else because the labor in China is too high.

Larry,

Can't relate to your experience-- neither Dianne nor I went in a single shop or is that shoppe while on the cruise. We always find interesting things to do in each port and save our shopping for when we are at home. Obviously, a lot of people on the cruise ships measure the success of a trip in the number of "Diamonds International" they visit. Not us.

I agree, it is sad to see that a lot of buildings within a few blocks of each port have been turned into tourist shops. If you look at the buildings from the first floor up, the building are as they were when we lived in Alaska in the mid 1970's.

The good news is that there are a LOT of very interesting, very unique things to do in each port-- things you will never experience in the lower 48.

Brett

We always check out the gift shops looking for magnets from the area. We have several hundred magnets from around the world that are displayed on a big board at home.

I have had the exact experience that Brett has had. We skip the port town unless there is something like the Lumberjack experience in Ketchikan. Yes, it's a tourist trap, but it was a lot of fun. We had great train trips, glacier viewing, whale watching, eagle viewing, bear encounters, and relaxing in the bar with the World's greatest views. We never drove (and likely never will due to time constraints) to AK so I cannot comment on that side of the equation but I have spoken to so many folks who have had an enormous amount of damage from start to finish that I am not sure I would drive even if I could.

We cruised four times and enjoyed each and every one, however one needs to drive through Alaska to fully appreciate the state and mingle with the natives. After a month of touring we had one rock chip on the windshield. You have to drive with caution when on gravel roads because trucks coming the other way run about 70 mph and kick up a lot of the gravel. The trick is to slow way down and angle towards the shoulder. Would like to do it again, so much to see and do.

Damage driving to Alaska? A group of 4 of us in motorhome lengths from 37 to 45 did the trip without any damage. The only damage was a rock chip that I got in Montana on our return. I would bet that the majority of the people who had damage were in a hurry and driving to fast. If that is the way you are going to go, then expect damage. Take your time and enjoy the views. Go very slow over the frost heaves.

We plan to do the inside passage in the next couple of years. That way we get to see it from both points of view.

I would agree that a cruise is the way to see Alaska. This past summer we did an Alaska Caravan. With Caravan fee $7,000, fuel from FL and back another $7,000, repairs to the coach from the roads in Alaska, campground fees, etc. the total cost was $26,000. We could have taken several cruises for that amount.

Brett very nice photos and reminds me of my last summer trip and similar pictures. I don't recommend driving from the lower 48 to there even with a caravan. We ended up with a busted windshield and road rash on the rear of the motorhome. Insurance treated us well but there was two deductible of $1000 each. Ouch! Also with the road construction and driving through so much chip seal we had dust where you couldn't imagine. There is much more for us to see there but next time we will fly and then rent the RV.

We did Alaska for the first time in 2001. Drove to Vancouver, checked into a campground and was shuttled to the cruise dock for a 7 day cruise. Spent a month going through Canada Yukon and Alaska. Went on the Alcan the whole way. One needs to both cruise and drive to see Alaska. Cruised 3 more times on the last cruise of the season and stay on board in Vancouver and sail to Hawaii. Stay there for a month then fly home.

How much is it normally to park a 30 ft Class A motor home at a port for cruise?

A couple more photos from the cruise:

1. Leaving Juneau

2. Skagway looking toward the pass the gold miners climbed as viewed from our cabin window.

3. Sea Otters

4. Whale sounding.

LeavingJuneau10PM640x427.jpg

Skagway640x480.jpg

TwoSeaOtters509x413.jpg

HumpbackWhale2640x427.jpg

I loved seeing your pictures. We are planning an Alaskan Cruise. Thanks for the information about cruising. Very helpful.