Sign in to follow this  
mauidawn

Any Nice Campgrounds Near Pikes Peak, Colorado

Traveling in a 31 ft Winnebago & towing. Going to ride the Cog Railroad up to Pikes Peak & need a close by RV Park that is decent.

I've heard good & bad reviews on the KOA in Fountain. Also the same good & bad about an older campground in Mantiou Springs which is very close to Pikes Peak......What do you think????

Cheyenne Mountain State Park is an excellent place. It is fairly new and is part of the Colorado State Park system. It is built on the side of Cheyenne Mountain where NORAD used to be located. At night, you can see the city lights of Colorado Springs below from many of the campsites. It is on the same mountain as the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo which is a good place to visit. Other possible places to visit in the area are the US Air Force Academy, the US Olympic Training Center and the beautiful Garden of the Gods park.

The KOA is ok, but is right next to I-25 and fairly barren land (no trees). I have never stayed there, but have passed it several times. I don't know anything about the park in Manitou Springs. Didn't even know there was one.

You might want to check out the web site for Mountaindale RV resort in Colorado Springs. Actually it is somewhat south of the Springs. Quiet and beautiful but makes for a great base camp for the area.