Sign in to follow this  
AprilWhine

Fifth Wheels and Bumper Pulls Welcome?

Saw this as a note on the Gillette rally and am a bit surprised. I thought FMCA was only open to motorized RVs.

I guess my point is why invite people who are not eligible to join, and conversely, why attend a rally at an organization that does not want you as a member?

Biggest reasons I can think of is that many move from 5th wheels/trailers to motorhomes and want to gain some knowledge before jumping in. Just as those who don't have a motorhome can subscribe to the FMCA magazine to get more information on FMCA and the motorhoming experience.

The other is that many FMCA members have friends in 5th wheels/trailers and want to share the FMCA experience with them.

Thanks for the reply wolfe10. Looks like there is no advantage to joining FMCA vice Good Sam then. Cheers!

Call me a snob if you want, but when I paid the dues for FMCA, I expected the organization to follow its own bylaws. Hubby and I were going to attend the Gillette rally but have now made other plans. I understand it is probably a financial decision but it hurts people who pay dues. We wanted to meet and associate with other people who have motorcoaches, there is very little commonality between a pull behind and a motorcoach.

Snob, well maybe, those are your own words. However at may RV Parks I have visited with a great deal of wonderful people in towables. They all ask many questions about my class A. Who knows just one of my answers may presuade them to move to a MH. I see nothing wrong with visiting with other RVers. I find a lot of them started with a tent to a pop up to a 5th wheel maybe I can help them move to a MH.

I don't feel there any thing wrong if some area allow towables to visit. They may decide to buy a MH and become members of a chapter. They might even meet you and you could find a new friend or not.

Sorry, just my thoughts

Herman Mullins

Vice President

Lone Star Chapter of FMCA

I certainly would not call you a snob. Nobody should. However, there are very few people who might disagree with your own self-assessment.

I own a class A and I do everything in my power to avoid an RV park that restricts their occupancy to Class A only. I feel much the same way about rallies and other events. I enjoy diversity and look forward to talking to others about their experiences and them asking me about mine.

I belong to FMCA and I belong to Good Sam. While each organization has similar goals (we're all just out here "camping") they both also offer unique option to their members.

I agree with Bill. All forms of RV share some similar technologies and people who have come up with creative solutions to everyday RV problems can often help others who have a different type RV. We started with a pickup camper when our kids were young, moved to a 37ft fifth wheel about seven years ago and bought a class-A diesel pusher last year. We are the same people we have always been - what I drive or tow does not change that. I strongly believe that each type of RV has advantages over the others in some range of situations. I too have shunned RV resorts that discriminate against trailers, primarily because I believe I get a better value at top rated resorts that are able to cater to a range of RV types.

And yet all of you joined a group that excludes non motorized RVs. :rolleyes:

You all miss my point. It's not that people who tow are inherently evil and breed woman eating pit bulls in their compartments. :lol:

If the rallies are open to everyone, but the organization bylaws restrict membership then either the membership restrictions should be dropped or the rallies should follow the bylaws. Simple as that. :P

Yes we did. Lots of people were members of Good Sams because they were not allowed to join FMCA. Many joined because they found GMCA insurance had a good rate through GS's. Others became members when GS and Camping World merged. Some just like their magazine.

Yes all of us joined both.

It appears that you may not know that FMCA Stands for "Family Motor Coach Association". Are you a member of FMCA?

Of course herman, otherwise I wouldn't post here.

I am a lifetime member of Good Sam, and joined FMCA at the Phoenix rally. Do you know the definition of motor coach? One big point is that it must have a motor. :lol: I tried SKP for a year and did not see any added value over Good Sam, and it looks like FMCA is going to be the same.

Guys and Gals,

It is fine to disagree, but let's not let this get personal.

Thanks.

Now, my personal opinion:

Sure, there are those in FMCA who don't want to change anything.

And there are those ready to open FMCA up to towables.

I see the stance for this Rally as a compromise -- allow towables to attend and see what motorhoming and FMCA are about-- it might give them the motivation they need to make the move to a "qualifying coach." This is especially true of FMCA members attending the Rally who have good friends who might make the switch. I see this as a minor extension of the ability for someone to subscribe to the FMCA Magazine without being a member and I view it as a good recruitment tool.

Brett

AprilWhine,

Contentious issues always bring out very divergent opinions -- and few issues are more strongly contested that the one you posted here.

No problem. But let's all keep the comments on a non-personal level.

Said another way, it is fine to attack someone else's ideas, but NOT the person.

BTW, interesting post you made here-- couldn't tell if you agree with it or just think it is inevitable and you don't like it: http://community.fmc...lly-attendance/

Interesting thread.

I believe the future of FMCA will include towables, simply because that is what most people buy.

This is not new. At Perry Ga last year I parked 15 towables, 8 electrics and 7 non-electrics that had pre-registered. The top brass wandered by from time to time to keep an eye on things. I put them on the corner of the family electric lot and across the road for non-electrics. They behaved as well as our regular members!

You all miss my point. It's not that people who tow are inherently evil and breed woman eating pit bulls in their compartments. :lol:

If the rallies are open to everyone, but the organization bylaws restrict membership then either the membership restrictions should be dropped or the rallies should follow the bylaws. Simple as that. :P

Quoted for wolfe, who may have missed this.

I neither agree nor disagree with allowing towables. I am not in management, I can only decide if I want to renew my membership based on perceived value for my dues. If the organization wants to grow, management will have to allow towables to join.

This matter will be a major topic at the FMCA rally in Indianapolis in August. A proposition has been made to allow towables with facilities to become FMCA Associate members. They would not be able to vote or hold office if the proposition is approved by the National Directors. ( There is one from each chapter). In a straw vote taken by our chapters members the opinion was overwhelmingly positive for admission with the right to vote and hold office. But our National Director only has one vote so we'll have to see how the other members feel.

Bob Moss

F237197

The Great Lakes Area had a few towables in attendance over the Memorial holiday. One of those just bought a motor home and is joining FMCA today. This is why they are allowed to attend national and many area rallys.

FMCA already has the classification of Associate Member for those that have owned a qualifying motor home and later become a towable owner. That member may then change their membership to Associate. Based on the FMCA Bylaws the Associate Member has all the rights of a Member except they cannot hold an office or vote. How can an Associate Member be denied attendance? On the other hand, it is up to the Area or Chapter to determine if other towables (non-Associate Members) are welcomed as 'guests'.

I have no bone pick here, but I agree with Brett. Many years ago, in the early 70's, I started camping with a trailer. My kids loved it. We moved to a slide-in (I think we went backwards, but) and also had fun. Then as time moved on and the kids got older and didn't go with us, we lost interest. Many years later, we got the bug again and saw many TT's and motor homes on the road. We talked to many people about the pro's and the con's of each, and everyone seemed happy in their choice. Some with TT's, said they will eventually move to a mh, but not at present.

I love my motor home, but talk to everyone, whether or not they have a tent, trailer, or motor home.

Belonging to Good Sam is a personal choice, as some want that little discount you get at CG's, and some want it for Camping World.

Just remember, the world is made up of people who think differently. That's why there are so many different manufacturers of so many different products.