GaryCroll

Smelly Fresh Water

While our Class A was being repaired at a dealer in Texas, they decided to "winterize" the fresh water tank. They used something pink and it clogged all the faucets and shower head. I have cleaned & flushed the tank several times, and even added bleach but the water still smells like something died in it.

I've had motorhomes for over 30 years and I have never winterized one and I have never had a problem with smell.

Any ideas?

The pink stuff is antifreeze, it does not smell bad. You can bing water systems and there are many suggestions of various concoctions to put into and run through your water system to restore the normal taste. Here is a link to a great book on how to get rid of boat odors...which are much worse than MH odors:

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Rid-Boat-Odors-Aggravation/dp/1892399156

If they put pink engine anti-freeze instead of the RV water system anti-freeze, you are in big trouble! Does it have an oily feel? You might need to find out more about what they did as you may have to have some major work done on your system if they made that kind of mistake.

I sure hope that's not what happened! Let us know what you find out.

After you fill the hot water tank for the first time you need to turn off and relieve the the water pressure and remove the water heater drain plug to flush out any pink RV antifreeze residue. Repeat if necessary.

I never put RV Antifreeze in my fresh water tank for this reason.

Dwight

Add several boxes of baking soda to tank (# depending on size of tank) along with 10 to 15 gallons of water, then drive motorhome around a few miles (maybe on some uneven roads to shake and slosh contents) then rinse and flush tank and water system.

goodpapa

How do you add to tank?

Dissolve whatever you want to add in water. Pour in hose. Connect hose to shore water faucet. Turn on.

If you have an external water filter cartridge you can also remove the filter, pour what you like in the housing, reattach it and then run water until it's all gone.

RverOnTheMove ~~~ Thank You for the 'tip' ~ pouring bleach into the filter housing seems like it would be a lot more efficent than pouring into the hose. Have to 'refresh' the tank tomorrow anyhow ~ so will give it a try. ~~ Kate ~~

Use hydrogen peroxide about 1 pt to 10 gal water into an empty fresh water tank. Run the pump until all faucets have the treated water coming out. Very effective on smelly water. Since the hydrogen peroxide dissipates on its own, just go ahead and fill the tank and use it.

Filtration depends on how you use your potable water system.

If you are filling the tank, do NOT use a charcoal filter. They remove the chlorine and if storing the water this is not what you want to do. If you are using the water immediately (not filling the tank) a charcoal filter is OK.

If well water, a sediment only filter is a good idea. The fine sand particles in some well water probably won't hurt you, but can clog the pump pressure switch.

Best setup is a sediment only filter for all water coming into the coach. Then a good quality charcoal filter on a "drinking water" faucet.

We use a sediment-only filter coming in and a carbon filter for drinking water. The chlorine not only keeps our entire system free of algae without having to add a freshener to the water tank, but it keeps our white clothes "whiter" without adding bleach to the laundry.

While our Class A was being repaired at a dealer in Texas, they decided to "winterize" the fresh water tank. They used something pink and it clogged all the faucets and shower head. I have cleaned & flushed the tank several times, and even added bleach but the water still smells like something died in it.

I've had motorhomes for over 30 years and I have never winterized one and I have never had a problem with smell.

Any ideas?

I have never ever in 40 years of winterizing RV,s had the "pink stuff" clog the system and a simple full water flush usually eliminates the taste/small odor.

Pink stuff is non toxic.

Any recommendations to unclog a shower head that is almost half clogged through out all of the many little holes?

I tried to remove it, and I cant. I was thinking of soaking it in CLR.

any suggestions?

Joe, totally submerge head in CLR for about 10 minutes....I use it at house. I got a round quart Glad container, hole on each side and string, it hangs. In coach I use a Zip lock bag. After 10 min, remove container and turn on water, if not completely un clogged repeat. You can also use Vinegar or HP 3%.

Carl

Carl, thanks for the advice, never thought of Vinegar. I have a gallon of white at home, I will give that a try tonight.

Joe