Iceangel222

Travel To Washington DC And Other Historic Sites

Question

We are new to RV's and plan to make a trek from Washington to Washington DC next spring.

We also want to make a swing through Philadelphia and Boston.

Any suggestions as to what is a good route, good places to stay, and any warnings?

Thanks for any assistance!

5 answers to this question

We have been to DC a number of times and have always stayed at Greenbelt National park. The subway station is about a mile and a half from the entrance to the park. We usually go after 9:30 in the morning and return after 7:00 in the evening that way we can take our bicycles. Getting around DC is tough if your walking and a bike is really handy. Mostly flat terrain. We have even gone on a bike tour with the National Park Service. The park only has showers and bathrooms. There is water and dump station. We usually stay a week to two weeks.

I can help with Boston, but I need more information. I live on the South Shore.

What do you have for an RV? (type and length)

Are you looking to stay in a campground with a lot of amenities and activities for kids? Do you need full hookups? 30 or 50 amps? (A lot of campgrounds only have 30 amps, water and no sewer in the Northeast. Your campground options increase significantly if you can live without 50 amps and sewer.) Do want to be closer to Cape Cod (South Shore) or Salem area (North Shore). In other words, what else do you want to see while you are in the Boston area? Plymouth, Salem, Newport, RI etc

Pets? Children?

How many days and when do you think you will be in the Boston area (a lot of campgrounds are full during the summer and close Columbus Day weekend)?

Paul

I'm from MA and for a full service campground you can't beat Normandy Farms in Foxboro, MA. It is a little pricey but you get what you pay for. As far as DC when I went there two years ago we stayed at Cherry Hill In College PArk, Maryland.

The subway tickets can be bought at the campground and a bus picks you up there and takes you to the subway station. You can also take your car right to the station and park there. Both great parks. How long are you in Boston area and what do you want to see? There is so much to see and do. Whaling museum in New Bedford, to dozens of places of interest in Boston, the mansions in Newport, Battleship cove in Fall River, etc.etc.

Let us know what interest you and we can give you some thoughts.

Dan

Since you are new to RVing, have you considered a RV caravan tour? Here you make new friends and everything is planned for you down to inth degree including city tours and campgrounds.. Well, not everything, because our tour left us with plenty of time to explore on our own. It was really great, because we are from the West Coast and would have missed so much without this experience.

For D.C. Cherry Hill Park in College Park, MD has seminars and information on touring DC. Also public bus stops at campground and transfers to subway to the mall and other sites. Great campground and location and information on DC.

For Philadelphia the Timberlane Campground in Clarksboro, NJ is located a short drive to Phillly Visitor Center. Most tours and sites start from the center.