stctom

Alaska FMCA Sojourn

Question

Hello,

We are considering participating in FMCA's trip to Alaska in the summer of 2013, leaving from Idaho. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer, that has participated in such events in the past.

1. What is a typical RV that goes on this trip? That is, large motorhomes, or 5th wheel's. Do most of the motorhomes have toads? (I assume there is a wide variation, but I am looking for what is typical, and what works)

2. Are these trips worthwhile / fun? Would you do them again (have you)?

3. What are common mistakes people make on such trips?

Thanks for your input.

Tom

8 answers to this question

I suspect that the answers will be all over the place. You can expect some damage to your vehicle (some say no, but most say yes). I would say that most motor homes are towing as you need some way to explore. A smaller unit like a Trek or similar likely does not tow.

Right now a bunch of people are stuck in Watson Lake, YT due to multiple road closures ahead of them. Not sure what time of year the trip is but you might want to look at the weather for that time of year. The best planning can still go bad but the have a lot of experience making this trip.

I have traveled to Alaska on 3 occasions. Your first question is what typical vehicle goes to Alaska. Well, I have found it to be all over the map, but mostly large motorhomes and big 5th wheels.. If you see a class C, it more than likely will be a rental with either a British or a German family aboard. Bring a towed!

As to damage, I personally have received more damage in the lower 48 than on the 2200-mile trip to Alaska. Windshield breakage rates among the highest damage receive. I found that trailers break axles due to excess speeds. Many areas of the road are under construction and when the sign says 25 km, it means 25 km. When we went on an organized tour, our wagon master told us everything we need to know about how to prevent damage. They, also, know what is the best speeds to travel.

As I said, I have been to Alaska 3 times by road. The last two times was by organized RV group. I promise you I had the most fun here. Traveling with a group gives you safety, you have friends to share the grandeur and beauty of the tour with in the evening and you don't need to worry about getting those hard to get tickets for excursions. In addition, the leaders on these tours are familiar with little known and out of the way places. They are keyed into the weather, road conditions and forest fire alerts. So, they have alternatives in their hip pocket if a road closure happens. By all means investigate the RV caravan option. :rolleyes:

We have travelled to Alaska with Fantasy RV Tours and are very happy that we did. Although we own a motorhome, and most of the rigs on our tour were MHs, there were also 5th wheels and a few trailers on our caravan. One of the reasons we chose to go with a group was the fear of rig damage and long distances without services. Our staff team really did keep us safe. Our brand new rig was pristine when we left and after a good wash, pristine on the way back. Not only were we kept safe (we also followed directions and safety tips!) but we sure did enjoy the folks that we met on our tour. We've kept in touch with many of them. As for taking a toad...never travel without one. We are explorers...always like to stop off and take a wayside trail or stop at an interesting store...and couldn't do that if we weren't independent. Another thing I'd like to mention, is that pretty much everything on our tour was included...RV campsites, tours and lots of meals. Very little is "optional". The only extra expenses we had were some meals, fuel and the souvenirs ....I just love jewelry :-). Go for it...Alaska is wonderful!

We have had the priviledge of being a part of 3 different caravans to Alaska. We have almost any and every kind of RV join us. Most common, probably 5th wheels and motorhomes from 28-42 ft. Yes, most motorhomes do bring Tows, and we would say that if they don't this would probably be one of the biggest mistakes. Once up in this beautiful wilderness you will want to jump into your tow and explore even further. The other thing that most folks do is they over think this tour. They have heard nightmare stories of bad roads, destruction of rigs and on and on. In our personal experience this is just not true. Yes it is possible to get a broken windshield or a flat tire but this can happen anywhere one travels. We take it very slow and we know ahead the road conditions we will be traveling. We have had our 40ft Monaco Motorhome up to Alaska 3 times and never encountered any problems. We leave in July for our 4th trip up thru Canada and all through Alaska and we are looking forward to another wonderful trip!

Lastly we highly recommend FMCA's guided tour to Alaska. All the planning, organizing etc. is done for you....You just show up and enjoy. Do the longest tour offered that your schedule will allow as this is a long trip and there is so much to see and do. Take advantage of everything offered to you and have a great adventure!

The stories of RV damage on the Alcan as well as the rest of the trip are well documented. Very good friends of ours took the trip and when they returned they had replaced their fan belt(s) and their towed had had all of the paint "sanded" off the front. Not everyone gets lots of damage but most everyone reports some amount. It's also possible to get some amount of damage driving from FL to TX so you have to take some of the reports with a grain of salt.

The reality is that the roads are NOT smooth and much is not paved roads as we are familiar with in the lower 48 (or Canada) and you simply must take lots and lots of time to get from point A to point B. If you do not, you will pay for it.

We traveled all through Alaska sometimes 30mph. Whats the rush, enjoy the view. With the proper protection and driving techniques our damage was one rock chip in the windshield. No marks on the toad. Went on lot of gravel roads. Spent a month there, it was priceless.

Just think about this. Breakdowns, road closures etc. do occur. Do you want to be alone with no cell service or would you rather be with a group for support? Also make sure you have spare tires for each vehicle not bologna spare and not necessarily on a rim, and if you are a trailer/5th wheel at a minimum shackles and pins and a spring would be good also. Check out all carvan companies they are not created equal.

I'm responding to your second question, "Are these trips worth while?" Check out my video of our trip and you will have our 'answer'!

The link is:

K0VLJ

Sam