Sign in to follow this  
fiskld

Broken Cooling Fan Motor Bracket

Well I ended up having to replace the cooling fan bracket that was installed to replace the one that broke. Just picked up the coach today with the upgraded replacement bracket installed. When I got home I was checking the newer bracket out and noticed the fan blades are only clearing the bracket arms by about 1/8 of an inch! Is this normal? It's making me very concerned, I really don't want to lose another fan and radiator.

post-8788-0-45225400-1345612215_thumb.jp

Took the coach back to the shop that installed the upgraded fan bracket to inspect it. The mechanic thought it would be ok. I then decided to drive it over to NC CAT in Anchorage. After their service tech and a mechanic inspected it they agreed that the installation was not alright. Not only were the fan blades much to close to hitting the support arms but the placement of the fan within the shroud was wrong. They decided to fix it all correctly they had to remove the bracket and shroud so they could rework the bracket for a correct fit on the bench. Bottom line, it will all be done correctly and I will be out an estimated additional 3,200 dollars. I'm now into this total repair of the cooling system over 16,000 dollars!! Anyway they assured me it will all be corrected and it will be warrantied so CAT will stand behind it. Hopefully this will be the end of this problem. I told my wife to beware, I will probably break into a dance singing HALLELUJAH when we pick it up tomorrow.

Larry,

I am curious about part of your statement: "Anyway they assured me it will all be corrected and it will be warrantied so CAT will stand behind it."

Can't imagine how the engine manufacturer would warrant repair to a cooling system installed by the chassis maker and repaired by a dealer(s).

Another question. Who made the bracket that ended up locating the fan improperly? I would get the specs from them and compare to actual. If they vary enough from spec to cause your "improper mounting", I would document that and go back against them for the work to RE-work their new bracket.

I hear you, the CAT shop manager said they would stand behind the new reworked bracket which they are making themselves. They have their own in house fabricator. I don't have anything in writing so maybe I should ask for that. It was Radiator Supply House in Sweet Home Oregon who made both brackets. Once the CAT shop had removed the bracket, fan, & motor they realized the cooling fan was already badly damaged. It had been hitting the bolts on the CAC mounting bracket and the hub had been rubbing against it also. I ordered another fan from Beaver Coach Sales today. I will try to post pictures of the damaged fan that was just installed in June. Thank God it was caught before it became a catastrophic failure. I have been in contact with Radiator Supply House but they have not offered to pay for any of this.

I sent RSH photos of the new damage created by their bracket. I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier but the owner Will told me they are making these brackets for Monaco RV for their parts inventory. They said Navistar Monaco sent them all the drawings and schematics for these brackets so they could make them up for them. I also know Beaver Coach Sales gets their brackets from them since that is where ours was ordered from. I have been in contact with BCS also about all of this and e-mailed them photos. They are concerned about this considering I am probably not the only one who has one of these badly designed brackets on their coach. The CAT shop sent me photos of the bracket they designed. They ended up using the center, motor bolt up portion of the bracket from RSH but redesigned the rest saying the one that RSH supplied for me was junk. The CAT designed bracket looks very different but well made. They used boxed 1/8" steel for all the supporting arms instead of channel iron. They are also putting gussets on all the corner welded joints to give more support to that area. They removed the shroud also and fitted it all together on the bench. It does look like a much better design than the brackets from RSH. Now they are only waiting for the fan to arrive tomorrow to finish it all up.