Roadtrekingmike

Why We Class B Owners Are Trendsetters

Like others have said, there are so many variables to consider as to the size of the RV that it's no wonder they make so many different kinds. We have a 27 ft Class C, and it is perfect for us. We love the U-shaped dinette, (probably the biggest feature that made us choose this one). The next biggest feature is having a bed always there (in the aft starboard corner of the RV), as opposed to having to take down a table, as another class C we looked at required. But we also like that the bed is stuffed away in the corner, and space isn't taking up a full bedroom, as yet another class C we saw. We only do short trips, mostly weekends or a couple weeks vacation. We also chose this size because neither me or my wife would really want to drive anything bigger. Also, when we retire, we plan to travel about the same, just that we may go on longer trips, 4 to 8 weeks max. We do not plan to full-time. If we did, then I would agree with others that we might want something larger.

Not me, we have been there. I will stay with my 45' Mandalay, 425-HP cummins, We travel mountain areas which could not have gone otherwise. No trouble getting in campgrounds. My toad 2008 4-door Jeep wrangler, just tags along without a problem.

Count me as not one who considers what someone decides is good for their interests as "setting the trend" nearly as much as a wise decision - "for them."

We downsized about a year and a half ago from a 40' four slide unit because it was way too big for the use we want from an RV today as compared to when we "full timed."

We seriously looked at the Roadtrek and several other B class units until we found they were just a bit too cramped "for us." Our choice was a 30' class A with two slides because it gave us far more outside storage, larger (more functional for us) bath - kitchen - and most important for us - seperate sleeping area so if one is asleep the other can move about and not disturb the one snoring (err sleeping). This 30' unit drives as well, fits where we want to stay/stop and was quite comfortable for a 2 month extended trip last spring. We carry less in the outside storage than we used to and have storage room available when friends with a B or C go with us for their excess items they find no room in their rig to take along on the trip.

I guess downsizing is a trend for some while upsizing is a trend for others just as RVing, itself, is a new trend for some and quitting the RV life is also a trend for some others.

I remember the trend towards working for 40 or so years so one could retire comfortably but I see other trends for the working class today. Some trend towards finding a better job (or any job) to support their family. I even see a trend toward finding some way to make a living while living in an RV and travelling wherever you wish, but I'm not sure just how big or encompassing any of these trends actually are. I'm just happy we all have the freedom to do what we wish as long as we can still afford the costs, both in money and well-being.

I disagree. I bet most of the brand new motorhomes in the 2012 FMCA International Motorhome Showcase in August will be huge Class A motorhomes as always.

What is now considered a class B started started out as a van conversion in the 60s. They gained in popularity in the 70s. Then the motorhomes became of age and were improved to what we have today. The current crop of class B's has also improved. At Madison I parked about 52 Road Treks compared to about 1800 Class A's. I would not call that a trend of any size. Each type has appeal to certain RVers.

Size matters, when it comes to Class A's :wub:

I floated the idea of the newer, shrunken Excursion being offered for 2013 to my wife and her response cannot be printed in polite company.

While our 3-slide 40' rig affords ample living area, galley, bath, bedroom and closet; a fourth slide and the extra two feet of length in the models we're looking at provide optimum storage and a little more flexibility with floorplans. Conversely, the new version of our bus blends dinette and living space, sheds storage compartments and abbreviates precious closet acreage. I don't think the market will respond favorably, 'specially if diesel prices continue to inch downward.

As far as maneuverability and economy goes, shrinking a Class A (or transitioning to a Class B) seems to make comparatively little fiscal sense: one sheds luxury and convenience at a much faster rate than one saves dollars.

Hello Fellow Campers - We are the proud owners of a 2004 Roadtrek, 190 P. and we LOVE it! We bought it used in 2008.

We have camped in tents, fold-downs, 2 truck campers, a huge Class C, and a 27ft. fifth wheel over the 50+ years that we have been camping.

A Roadtrek has everything a Class A has, except the size. As you get older, you may find that you are more comfortable in a B since you can park it anywhere a car can park, drive it anywhere a car can go (except for bumpy camps with huge rocks and holes) and be in and out of a campground in 15 minutes. We are 76 and 73 years of age and driving is not as easy as it used to be! We are very thankful to be in a B and not trying to maneuver around with a huge motorhome these days.

It is a very friendly camper and a lot of fun! We have only 6 or 7 states we have not visited. :rolleyes:

Like others have said, there are so many variables to consider as to the size of the RV that it's no wonder they make so many different kinds. We have a 27 ft Class C, and it is perfect for us. We love the U-shaped dinette, (probably the biggest feature that made us choose this one). The next biggest feature is having a bed always there (in the aft starboard corner of the RV), as opposed to having to take down a table, as another class C we looked at required. But we also like that the bed is stuffed away in the corner, and space isn't taking up a full bedroom, as yet another class C we saw. We only do short trips, mostly weekends or a couple weeks vacation. We also chose this size because neither me or my wife would really want to drive anything bigger. Also, when we retire, we plan to travel about the same, just that we may go on longer trips, 4 to 8 weeks max. We do not plan to full-time. If we did, then I would agree with others that we might want something larger.

That's pretty strange, the post by me earlier on here is not me. I don't own a Class C and didn't write that post......strange

Wow. That's a first. The same profile came up for each post; so, I guess if you try to delete the one that's not yours, it'll work B)

Yes it is odd. I am the one who posted that text on 6/20 at 10:06 pm, this was after fiskld's post of 6/16 12:53am, but somehow that post's text got changed to what I wrote. And I did not do anything other than post like any normal user here.

Guess it's the Twilight Zone.

No worries, I just figured it was a glitch from cyber land. The twilight zone is right...it amazes me with all the information flying around out there that this kind of thing doesn't happen more often.

17 April 2015 11:20

Hopefully, someone else in this Forum are has noticed what I just noticed: namely, that 45-foot type-A owners, 19-foot type-B owners and 28-foot type-C owners get along generally very well in the FMCA: both in the real world, and online.

I attended an "anniversary" rally a few years ago for a brand-specific RV club. I enjoyed the rally overall, except when I mentioned what my "rig" was in conversations with other attendees. Unfortunately, I received such responses as "That's not an [insert brand name]", "Go join Good Sam" and "This is our rally, not yours" from over a dozen attendees. After five years of membership, I left that club, and put the dues I had been paying toward my NZMCA membership.

I have never heard one discouraging word from any FMCA member since I re-joined the Association in 2001 (or for that mattter, when my parents and I were members in the late eighties). The only thing I might like to see is at least one of the FMCA Executives traveling in a type-B coach at one of the Area Rallies or Conventions. If not, maybe I should consider running for a position after I retire.

How about a nice hot cup of "Happy Cybercamping"?

Michael Canode, F13059S

Being a Rv'r for 25+ years, I have seen many different types of units, rigs, big and small. I like the post where the definition of a "trend" is what you make of it. I have had 3 type A's, 2 Type C's and 1 Pusher. I have driven Type B's by Advanced RV and yes, it is a beautiful unit. My 38ft. Zanzibar was a very roomy rv with 3 slides. To me the real "trend" is to enjoy what you have, enjoy the chance to get away and see this beautiful country of ours and most of all enjoy the company of all our wonderful FMCA members who are the "BEST"

We went from a 24 foot class C motorhome to a 30 ft. class C within a month.....used that for a year and a half....we are now downsizing to a Roadtrek 190 P which is much smaller but is exactly what we are looking for to travel from point A to point B. Everyone has their own opinions on what will work for them. This is understandable. Enjoy whatever fits your lifestyle.