Sign in to follow this  
ucandog

1990 Champion Telstar

Hey uncandog, while searching the web, and this site I found your post. We own an '89 Telstar Champion. Was wondering if you still have yours and what you have done to it. Ours was pretty clean when we bought it so we didn't do much to it except clean it up (had been sitting for a while. Did replace tires and had it serviced and a/c re-serviced. Have had some issues with water leakage at the windows, which will require looking into panel replacement down the road, otherwise it has been a fine rig.

Hope to hear from you, maybe exchange some info. Ours came with manuals and service books so it was kinda cool to go through them and learn about the systems....

Hey out there, saw your Telstar posts and thought I'd join in. I found my '89 Telstar in July 2013 and was taken by it's different style and affordable price too.

My 27' Telstar needs some tlc, but is a sound vehicle. I haven't seen very many of these units here in the Carolinas, it seems they were very popular in the NW.

I am a newbie to MotorHomes so I don't know a lot about the electrical on coaches. The biggest problem I have encountered with my coach is the lack of any manuals. I knew they were missing however I was sure I could obtain sufficient info. on line. So far, I haven't been able to find anything specific to 1989 Telstar builds.

I envy you who have the manuals, it makes checking out the many electrical components a lot easier.

Does your Telstar operators manual explain the 'do's and dont's' when using the generator and or power pole electric?

Does your Telstar operators manual explain the 'do's and dont's' when using the generator and or power pole electric?

hermitid,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

There are two ways that shore power vs generator can be handled in an RV.

1. ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch). It ONLY allows one source of 120 VAC. Generally, if generator is running, it is the one supplying the coach. But, it can be wired for shore power to be the "preferred" source.

2. A manual plug/unplug. In other words, you manually do what the ATS does. You unplug from one source and plug into the other.

To determine which you have, follow your shore power cord into the RV. Follow your generator 120 VAC cord from generator. The two will either meet at an ATS or at a plug/outlet.

And, when you start the generator, best to have no 120 VAC loads on. Best to run it at around 50% of capacity (i.e. around 2500 watts if you have a 5000 watt generator) . Just like your car, not good to just start it and run under light load-- would be like idling your car for, say, an hour. Then shut off loads before turning off generator. This allows a cool down period and also is much easier on the generator's voltage regulator.

Brett

Newbie to FMCA here.  We had a beautiful Telstar 24' with a Ford 460 years ago.

I had a "gear splitter" installed and it made quite a difference going up hills.

What I always liked about the Telstar motorhomes was the conservative horizontal striping

and exterior front shape.  I'm not a fan of vinyl swirls and I wish the MH companies would go

back to conservative horizontal stripping.