Sign in to follow this  
skiprd

Leveling Procedure

Hi guys -- we are brand new to owning a motorhome (although we've been RV'ing for 30+ years), brand new to this forum, and brand new to all of the automated gizmos on our 2013 ACE 30.1. I guess it's impossible to get any newbier than that. So, this is the first of what I assume will be lots of questions.

I've read through these posts, and it sounds like the correct procedure for leveling the motorhome is as follows.

1. I plan to install a refrigerator level on the driver's console calibrated so that it indicates level when the refrigerator is level.

2. At the campsite, use 2x10x16 (or thereabouts) boards, or leveling blocks, if necessary, to get the MH roughly level per the installed level. Make sure that the tires are entirely on the boards.

3. Place other boards under the leveling jacks if the surface is soft. (It looks like not more than an inch or two high under the jacks.)

4. Deploy the leveling jacks. Confirm that the tires are NOT off the ground. (Which I assume means that the leveling action of the jacks is limited to the suspension travel of the MH.)

I didn't see anything in the posts about placing wheel chocks, so I assume that's not necessary since the tires are on the ground and the parking brake is set.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could confirm that this is right (or correct it if it's not), and accept my apologies in advance if this is all perfectly obvious or if the answer is, as they say in the computer business, RTM.

Skip,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

You have outlined a very safe and "coach friendly" approach to leveling. And, yes as long as the wheels (rear wheels are held by your parking brake) are on the ground or boards, no wheel chocks are needed.

The only part that you need to look in your coach owners manual for is the order in which you do things when you deploy the jacks and extend the slides. Some manufacturers ask that the jacks level the coach first, some ask that the slides deploy first. No right or wrong answer-- just different.

Brett

If the coach has leveling jacks, they are there so you don't need to use leveling boards under your tires. You will just need a good hunk of wood or other material under the jacks if you are on soft soil or asphalt to avoid sinking in. If you can't get level using just the jacks I would suggest moving to a more level site.

While I agree with Bill that as long as you keep your tires on the ground, you don't HAVE TO use boards under the the tires on the low side(s), it is not a bad idea, particularly if you will be parked for a long time.

Certainly not necessary for overnight or short stays.

Thanks to all for the replies. I meant to state that boards under the tires would be used only if necessary to get the MH "level enough" that the jacks could finish off the leveling without lifting any tires off the ground.

We're off to our shakedown cruise this weekend and very, very excited about the new MH phase in our RV'ing lifestyle.

Thanks again,

Skip

My thoughts.

Our coach has air bags for ride and leveling. When we park I dump my air to get the coach as low as I can before I try to level the coach. Our last coach had air bags and jacks. Then I would also dump then level.

If I need to roll my coach up onto boards to get it close to level and then use the jacks, I would find another spot to park. If I have to put boards under the tires and then level I would be concerned about slippage. Tires on the ground have a grip on the ground. Boards have no grip on the ground and the tires can get no grip on the boards. When the coach is raised to level how much grip/traction do I have?

Boards under the tires, boards under the jacks equals too much chance for slippage (boards under the jacks because of soft ground is OK).

Just my thoughts on safety.

Herman,

Been using boards for decades and never a slip. The weight of a wheel position on a board makes it pretty darn stable. I like to minimize coach/chassis twist, particularly when parking for more than overnight. Yes it IS extra work.

Brett, You are correct about using boards. My point was that if you have to stack boards under the tires and the jacks you might look for a more level spot. When we had jacks I allways put boards under the jacks when not on concrete. I leveled once on gravel, I was a real newbie then, and did not use boards. I looked at the coach during Happy Hour and thought it looks as if my jack have lost some lift so I readjusted the front jack, a single jack in the center front, twice. Then I noticed my jack plate was out of sight. I had buried the jack in the gravel til there was no more travel. And it was a chore to get it back out of the ground.