Sign in to follow this  
Xplorer

Assumption - The Mother of All Screw-ups (Coach Batteries)

That's the exact location of the switches I have seen accidentally shut off as I suggested above. Since the DW has done this in the past I would put my money on the fact that you did it as well. Hopefully, you will find that when left alone, the power will remain!

Let us know.

Bill, check is in the mail. I don't know who the clutz was that shut the 12v power down, but when I see him, he's going to the wood shed.

Working fine, fridge is getting cold.....

False alarm,,,,Gave me something new to think about. Deer got fed, and I got to see happy hour or happy 1/2 hour.

Regards and thanks again.

Since I just left the van's driveshaft disconnect disconnected, watched my van roll about 100 yards down a hill, jump an embankment, drop 20+ feet to the Earth below and then crash through the RV office, I really could use that check! No, I am not kidding. I am the guy you saw on the 6:00 news!

Ohhhh, No.....

No one hurt?,,,,,anything can be fixed and/or replaced. Hope your ins will take care of it.

Get you some good pics. Some day you will be able to sit by the ole campfire and have a good laugh.

My battery issue seems kind of like a flea in comparison.

Best wishes,,,,,you didn't make National News, yet! At least I didn't see anything about it.

Thanks, you know how to make a CKlutz feel better.

Best Wishes

No, I didn't even make the local news but the reporters were there. I respectfully declined and Janet was a wreck!

You can get a brief look at our tragedy here. NO ONE WAS HURT and the van was unoccupied!

http://www.datastormusers.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/2/t/000401/p/1.html#000000

The van has been replaced, the ins. co. is sending a check which is way too small and we are sleeping better every night but still not sleeping all the way through any one night. Time heals all wounds and we are just hoping time truly flies! We can't help thinking how bad it could have gone and despite how "well" it went we can't stop asking for that 30 seconds of our life back again.

No, I didn't even make the local news but the reporters were there. I respectfully declined and Janet was a wreck!

You can get a brief look at our tragedy here. NO ONE WAS HURT and the van was unoccupied!

http://www.datastorm...p/1.html#000000

The van has been replaced, the ins. co. is sending a check which is way too small and we are sleeping better every night but still not sleeping all the way through any one night. Time heals all wounds and we are just hoping time truly flies! We can't help thinking how bad it could have gone and despite how "well" it went we can't stop asking for that 30 seconds of our life back again.

There's better days ahead.

I was at an RV Park couple years ago. A fellow was unhooking his car from the MH on a down hill slope. Pinned him to the MH, seriously broke both legs and hospitalized for several months. He was seriously injured.

Thanks for sending the link, wow, no one hurt, like you know, all can be replaced. Insurance never covers vehicles. You may remember last Feb, my boat was in storage when an guy in a MH started a fire. Burned his new truck, MH, another RV, my boat. The saving factor was I had an agreed value with Progressive and came out of it OK. They settled fast.

Hopefully, better days ahead.

Hi Bill, Considering all the possibilities and scenarios. Good to know the Big W is standing behind you.

Thinking a set of wheel chocks will be a new item in one of the bays..

Hope your back on the road soon.

Rich.

Think we hijacked the thread,hard not to under the circumstances !!

After a month, New Batteries seem to be working fine, maintaining charge, etc......

Again, thanks for all the great advice and troubleshooting assistance. One of the good things, is I now have a digital volt meter.

Sure is nice when things work as intended.

Again, thanks for all the help.

John

Your posts cracked me up. I totally agree with you on "assuming", always seems to have more teeth than a piranha. There is one other thing that may help in the future...golf cart batteries can have the acid readded to them, and the rejuvenation is pretty efficient. Probably in the 85-95% range. Just food for thought.

Your posts cracked me up. I totally agree with you on "assuming", always seems to have more teeth than a piranha. There is one other thing that may help in the future...golf cart batteries can have the acid readded to them, and the rejuvenation is pretty efficient. Probably in the 85-95% range. Just food for thought.

That's interesting. I was under the ASSUMPTION, there's that Mother again; that only distilled water could/should be used to top off a battery.

May need to make a future trip to the Golf Cart Battery Company Honcho, and see if they carry the Acid......not sure that's something I would want to carry around..

If it leaked,,,,,,could it/would it,,,,,make a nice scenic hole in the bottom of the Bay?

If so, it would be easier for the Coons, as in Rac access to a nice little bed.

OBTW, Batteries still doing great

After reading this thread I decided to check my house batteries with a volt meter. I have what appears to be (2) Deka SeaMate 12v batteries connected in parallel. These do not have access to check water levels. Visually, they seem pretty new, at least new looking.

Anyway, across them, with the house disconnect switch in the disconnect position, I measure 12.35vdc. I will be connecting the MH to AC tonight to begin cooling the fridge for a trip on Friday. Do I have any worries here?

John,

The are not quite 50% discharged. If they have not been charged in awhile, they are likely OK.

But, you DO need to check water level. Can you use a mirror and flashlight to check? And many use an old ketchup bottle with 3' of thin clear plastic hose that just fits through the "spout" to add distilled water-- cost around $1.

I'm gonna recheck the voltage tomorrow, after the MH is plugged in overnight. But how can I add water, it says, "do not attempt to open the vents" and the caps seem to be sealed in place and smooth with the top of the battery.