Sign in to follow this  
brandta

Weather Alert Radio Recommendations

We are planning a trip next winter/spring across the south and back through the midwest. As a "left coaster" severe weather is really not an issue. I am looking for recommendations for a weather alert radio (with SAME) to carry along on our travels. I do have the generic alert in my CB, but think the newer technology is probably a bit better. Would like to find a unit that can be directly wired (through and adapter if necessary) to the 12v of the coach as we will be dry camping much of the time and I don't want to worry about batteries except as temp backup.

Any suggestions good or bad will be appreciated.

Alan Brandt

Midland and/or Radio Shack are the two that come to mind. The small desk unit with a telescoping antenna seems to receive better. Any unit that uses an AC adapter with a DC input can be plugged into the DC with the right DC adapter (Radio Shack).

The SAME is very useful if you are in one location, but for travel days a unit that can scan or be dialed for the strongest WX station can be more useful to give info pertinent to where you are.

I find that having access to internet while on the road is better than the WX radio because I often do not know all the locations the WX radio is referencing in the statements or warnings. I can compare the WX radar on the phone or laptop to a map or Garmin and have some idea of where we are in relation to the WX event and can change course & speed to avoid becoming part to event.

The NWS graphical forecasts are great for planning a day ahead as you can see local, state, regional or national representations of severe weather, rain, wind, etc. Knowing where the wind is today or might be tomorrow will be handy in the Spring.

BH

Alan,

Welcome to the Forum.

I traveled the Southwest for close to 45 years. The one thing that I always had a problem with was "Where Am I". On the Radio, TV and weather stations they always talk about what is happening in Job County "The storm is moving Southeasterly through Job into the Northern portion of Sam County." My thoughts were "Am I in Job or Sam Counties??"

My new cell phone shows the weather where I'm at that moment and moves with me. With this I know what the weather is where I'm at and what I can expect.

Weather on the road is a perplexing thing. Maybe you can get that ap on your phone.

Have a great time in the south.

I agree with Herman. Living in the south and subject to unknown weather conditions in my area which develop in the Gulf, I have found my i-phone is the best tool I have found.

I have several app's which gives me pinpoint locations and also alerts me about severe weather conditions. I also have a eton FR-300 am/fm battery operated radio with 7-weather channels, this radio is supported by the American Red Cross and can be found at Lowes.

We have learned in our area on a sunny day not to leave your windows down on your car when parked in 15 minute parking area.

Thanks to all.

I guess I'm not smart enough yet to have a "smart" phone which certainly seems to be the weather device of choice. I can certainly appreciate the need of knowing where you are to make full use of the NWS broadcast information. I'm planning on having the lists of the NWS stations for the states we will be traveling in which give the cities and counties covered by the various stations along with the SAME code. Along with the GPS, Internet, and old style hard copy paper maps we should be able to figure out where we are even if we aren't sure its where we want to be...Perhaps if we plan on bad weather we won't have any...like taking the umbrella so it won't rain.

Thanks again to all.

Alan