Sign in to follow this  
bigred1cav

Where And How To Get Weighed

I am in Columbus, Ohio and need to get our coach weighed.

Where and how do I get it weighed?

Do the scales workers know what needs to be weighed?

What should it cost?

Thanks

Many truck stops have certified scales. I usually walk into the desk and let them know what I am doing first. Then just drive onto the scale, usuallly a call box to let the desk know who you are. They likely will ask for a company name and truck number (I just use My Last Name Company and truck # 1). They will squawk back when they have your weight in a matter of seconds. All handled by remote from the fuel desk and there likley will be no one at the scale The scales will have 3 or 4 platforms that allow trucks to get their individual axle weights, so just position your axles on different platforms. If your coach just has two axles and you are towing, let the towed sit on the last platform and get a weight on it. The weights will be for each platform (axle) and on the weigh ticket it will list steer, drive and trailer axle weights. If you want or need each wheel postiion weighed and the platform is dead level with the pavement on either side, you can then re-position to get one side of the coach on the scale platfroms and one side on solid ground. Though, many truck stop scales are not set up to allow single side weighing. Cost will be $10 per weigh +/-

Moving companies also have scales and they may be set up better for weighing one side. You need to call ahead to make sure they will let you weigh and pay. The weigh ticket may be different so just make sure you understand what they give you.

The RV tire guides available online from Michelin, Bridgestone, etc, have weighing instructions that may be useful to review.

BH

I just had my RV weighed Friday, CAT Scale at a Pilot. Even with My RV Rewards I had to pay $9.50. Not a big deal, but then I passed a Weigh Station on the highway and that got me wondering if one can get there RV weighed there, (and whether there is a fee for that or not). One time, many years ago, I got my U-Haul truck with car in tow weighed at a Virginia Weigh Station.

Has anyone used a state weigh station?

Thank you. Not sure I understand but I will go to a CAT and make a go of it. How do I get individual tires/axle weighed? Do I position once or make several adjustments to put a single tire on scale?

Thanks again.

Well on a normal CAT Scale they will probably only let you weigh once. The one I was one, and I'm sure they are pretty similar, I would say the forward most segment was about 10 feet long and the next segment was about 15 feet long. I positioned my RV so that both the front axle and the rear axle were roughly centered, front to back and left to right on the first 2 segments. There were many more segments, for large tractor/trailer rigs, but of course these were N/A for me.

So the result was I had the axle weights for the Front Axle and the Rear Axle.

As others have said, sometimes you can get them to let you pull the RV so one half, right or left, is on at a time. This would give you one reading with Right Front and Right Rear, then reposition and do it again for Left Front and Left Rear. But you'd have to catch a friendly scale operator and the ones at this Pilot were not.

You can also use the CONTACT location on their website and they will tell you where the nearest location you can get all 4 wheels done. I emailed them about 2 weeks ago, as I was going to the SW Florida area and they emailed back that the only "nearby" location was Cocoa Beach. Didn't help for me, but others may have better luck.

Good suggestion on RVSEF schedule. There is also a couple who full times and they do RVSEF weighing where ever they travel. We got our MH weighed by them in Kerrville, TX while they were there for a couple of rallys. They, Howard and Linda, have a website RVDreams.com. Absent meeting up with RVSEF or Howard and Linda I would highly recommend finding a moving company where you can weigh each of the four corners. It is next to impossible to do this at truck stops.

Axle weights are better than nothing but the weight on one end of the axle to the other can vary several hundred pounds and this can be enough to require more air pressure in each tire across the same axle than might be indicated by just dividing the axle weight by two.

Don

While finding a location may be easier for some than others, it is important to do the math correctly.

RVSEF will give you a nice printout if you use their service. If you can't visit one of the locations they will be at, you can check out THIS site and learn more on the process of proper weighing and download a form to help you do the math.

For those still questioning the need to know your actual tire loads, you might find these blog posts of interest.

Loads & Inflation Part 1

Loads & Inflation Part 2

2d1rzn7.jpg

Seen at Mt Rushmore KOA