Sign in to follow this  
Pxr177

Bicycle Racks on Bumper with Toad

I drive a 30 Ft Class C Chateau. I have bike racks that slide into the hitch plate under the bumper. This year I want to tow a car, which means I cant use the hitch plate. I noticed at Camping world that they have receptacles that are bolted on above the bumper, freeing the truck mounted hitch for a regular bumper.

So, my question is: Is it OK to pull a car while the bikes sit on a rack above the bumper, or am I better to mount a new rack on the back of the car.

Thanks

Paul

I have a Class C Aspect. I have this hitch mounted unit for my bikes, which still leaves the hitch free to tow a vehicle.

http://www.amazon.com/Surco-BRS300-Slide-Drawbar-Capacity/dp/B000CCFFR4

They also make a 4 bike one, BRS400. I like the ease of putting the bikes onto or off of this rack, vs. the car rack we have for our Sonata. Plus, most car racks use straps, which can eventually break. This one uses no straps, (neither the rubber stretch kind that hold the bike directly or the cloth web kind that hold the rack).

We have a new 29' Monaco Montclair and are towing a new 2012 Ford Focus.

We just installed a 1 1/4" receiver on the Focus and plan to put our bikes on a rack on the Focus. We are heading out in a couple days for our first use of this configuration. We also plan to take the bikes without the toad. Since the receiver on the Monaco is a 2" version, I had to purchase a converter with a 2" male to connect the Monaco and a 1 1/4" Female on the bike rack end so I can attach the rack.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful.

Paul,

You might also consider that having the bike rack on the toad, instead of the MH, gives you the option of transporting your bike(s) independent of the MH.

That may or may not be of value to you, but it is a plus for me.

They also make a duel reciever that you put in the coaches hitch. It then gives you 2 2" receivers. One for the toad and one for bike rack. It would by far be the cheapest route if it would work for your application.

We have a Silverado toad which we carry our bikes on the back in a rack. The rack tilts backward so we can lower the tailgate for access to the bed. Its convenient to have the bikes with us on day trips.