JonDemar

Flat Towing Ford Explorer

I'm looking to buy a 2004 to 2008 Ford Explorer.

I never flat towed before and was wondering if anyone could tell me is an Explorer could be flat towed and what i would need to do it?

Thank you!!

We tow a 2003 Ford Explorer four wheels down. The Dealership needs to install a "Neutral Tow" kit to make it towable. The set up to put it into neutral tow only takes a couple of steps. This kit only works for the 4X4 models prior to 2011 when Ford changed the transmissions.

We have had good luck towing this vehicle for the last 7 years. It tows straight and we can hardly tell it is there.

My question is can a Ford Explorer 2011 be towed flat on the ground...I am getting different answers from different Ford dealers...no one seems to be sure.

If the 2011 Explorer front wheel drive can be towed flat on the ground, how is it done?

We looked at a 2011 front wheel drive Explorer manual and it is not clear what has to be done to this front wheel drive to make it towable if it can be towed.

Thank you.

Pat

My question is can a Ford Explorer 2011 be towed flat on the ground...I am getting different answers from different Ford dealers...no one seems to be sure. If the 2011 Explorer front wheel drive can be towed flat on the ground, how is it done? We looked at a 2011 front wheel drive Explorer manual and it is not clear what has to be done to this front wheel drive to make it towable if it can be towed. Thank you. Pat

I looked at the 2011 Explorer manual 4th printing on ford.com. The manual could be written better, but it does say the front wheel drive is towable four down and the method and procedure appear to be the same as the 4x4.

BH

Thank you, BH...I did read a manual in a 2011 Ford Explorer and it was not clear at all how to do it.

The dealer called Ford to find out if it was towable flat on the ground and got an affirmative answer.

I think the next thing we will do is go to a dealer and let them show us how to do it but honestly this is Ocala and no one knows anything here...dumbest people you ever saw!!!

How you can sell a product and know very little about it is beyond us but that is what we have here.

I would like to hear from people who have towed an Explorer to hear their experience.

Thank you for your reply...P

This info from the 2011 Owners Manual states FWD and 4WD Explorers can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground by following the below listed instructions.

RECREATIONAL TOWING

Follow these guidelines for your specific powertrain combination to tow

your vehicle for personal travel (such as behind a motor home or a

truck).

Note: Put your climate control system in recirculated air mode to

prevent exhaust fumes from entering the vehicle. Refer to the Climate

Controls chapter for more information.

In case of a roadside emergency with a disabled vehicle, please refer to

Wrecker towing in the Roadside Emergencies chapter.

These guidelines are designed to prevent damage to your vehicle after it

is hooked-up to the RV or tow dolly.

Front-wheel drive (FWD) vehicles can be towed with all four wheels

on the ground or with the front wheels off the ground by using a tow

dolly. If you are using a tow dolly follow the instructions specified by the

equipment provider. If you are towing with all four wheels on the ground,

refer to the towing instructions found at the end of this section.

Four-wheel drive (4WD) vehicles can be towed with all four wheels

on the ground or with all four wheels off the ground using a vehicle

transport trailer. Do not tow your 4WD vehicle with the front

wheels off the ground (by using a tow dolly) and the rear wheels

on the ground; this will cause damage to your 4WD system. If you

are using a vehicle transport trailer, follow the instruction specified by

the equipment provider. If you are towing with all four wheels on the

ground, refer to the towing instructions found at the end of this section.

If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground:

Tow only in the forward direction.

Release the parking brake.

Place the transmission shift lever in N (Neutral).

Place the ignition in the accessory position (refer to Starting in the

Driving chapter).

Do not exceed 65 mph (105 km/h)

Start the engine and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning

of each day and every six hours thereafter. With the engine running

and your foot on the brake, shift into D (Drive) and then into R

(Reverse) before shifting back into N (Neutral).

Tires, Wheels and Loading

Pat 60, I have found car dealers and their sales people have little knowledge when it comes to towing. I towed a 2005 Jeep Wrangler for years, very simple procedure setting up. I traded the 2005 for a 2008 I found there was another step added, disconnect battery. I did not realize the 2008 had electric equipment. I inquired to the dealer what would effect the towing other than draining the battery on a long trip, no one at the dealer could answer my question, they gave me a 800 number to call and was told the service tech could answer all my questions, this is when I realized how much info services are farmed out.I made the call and was ask how I could helped, I explained--the answer was BROKE TAKE BACK TO DEALER--after about 30 min trying to explained my question I realized I was going no where I ask him where he was, he stated India. I corrected the concerned whith a battery disconnect switch.

More and more this type services are being sent overseas.

Please, eveyone do not take this wrong. I can not understand why any one would pull fuses or put in battery disconnect switches. It is very simple to add a fuses power wire to the harness to keep the battery up when towing. Disconnecting the battery for several hours will deprogram the ECM and it will take some time to reset itself.

Just my thoughts.

Herman....My 2011 Jeep Rebuicon has a disconnect on the neg side of the battery.

This keeps the towed miles off of the odometer...no problem with ECM..has been disconnected for days at a time and I put keys in and fires right up..Don't have to change clock or reset radio..nothing!

Butch

Henry,

Your Rebuicon must have two circuits off the Battery.

My reference was to the Battery disconnect. That removes all power to every circuit in the vehicle.

Herman